|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
Dapagliflozin (dap" a gli fl oe' zin; Farxiga – Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca), an SGLT2 (sodium-glucose co-transporter 2) inhibitor, has been approved by the FDA for oral treatment of type 2 diabetes. Dapagliflozin is the second SGLT2 inhibitor to be approved for this indication; canagliflozin (Invokana) was the first.1
MECHANISM OF ACTION — SGLT2, a membrane protein expressed mainly in the kidney, transports filtered glucose from the proximal renal tubule into tubular epithelial cells. SGLT2 inhibitors decrease renal glucose reabsorption and increase urinary glucose excretion, resulting in a reduction in blood glucose levels.
CLINICAL STUDIES — In randomized, double-blind clinical trials in patients with... more
2. E Ferrannini et al. Dapagliflozin monotherapy in type 2 diabetic patients with inadequate glycemic control by diet and exercise: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Diabetes Care 2010; 33:2217.
5. CJ Bailey et al. Effect of dapagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes who have inadequate glycaemic control with metformin: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2010; 375:2223.
6. MA Nauck et al. Dapagliflozin versus glipizide as add-on therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes who have inadequate glycemic control with metformin: a randomized, 52-week, double-blind, active-controlled noninferiority trial. Diabetes Care 2011; 34:2015.
7. K Strojek et al. Effect of dapagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes who have inadequate glycaemic control with glimepiride: a randomized, 24-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Diabetes Obes Metab 2011; 13:928.
8. J Rosenstock et al. Effects of dapagliflozin, an SGLT2 inhibitor, on HbA(1c), body weight, and hypoglycemia risk in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on pioglitazone monotherapy. Diabetes Care 2012; 35:1473.
9. SA Jabbour et al. Dapagliflozin is effective as add-on therapy to sitagliptin with or without metformin: a 24-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Diabetes Care 2014 Jan 15 (epub).
11. J Bolinder et al. Dapagliflozin maintains glycaemic control while reducing weight and body fat mass over 2 years in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled on metformin. Diabetes Obes Metab 2013 Aug 1 (epub).