The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
August 4, 2014 (Issue: 1448)Aminosalicylates are effective for induction and maintenance of remission in mild to moderate ulcerative colitis. They are not recommended for treatment of Crohn's disease. FORMULATIONS — Oral mesalamine is rapidly absorbed in the small intestine and most of the drug does not reach the colon. Pentasa releases mesalamine gradually throughout the gastrointestinal tract. Delzicol, Asacol HD, Lialda, and Apriso delay the release of the drug until it reaches the distal ileum and colon. Sulfasalazine (Azulfidine, and generics), balsalazide (Colazal, and others), and olsalazine (Dipentum) are prodrugs; mesalamine is azo-bonded to a second moiety and released in the colon following bacterial cleavage of the bond. Mesalamine is also available as an enema (Rowasa, and generics) and as a rectal ... more
- GT Ho et al. The efficacy of corticosteroid therapy in inflammatory bowel disease: analysis of a 5-year UK inception cohort. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 24:319.
- Budesonide (Uceris) for ulcerative colitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:23.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:e44.
- A Timmer et al. Azathioprine and 6-mercaptopurine for maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 9:CD000478.
- E Prefontaine et al. Azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine for maintenance of remission in Crohn's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 1:CD000067.
- JF Colombel et al. Infliximab, azathioprine, or combination therapy for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:1383.
- R Panaccione et al. Combination therapy with infliximab and azathioprine is superior to monotherapy with either agent in ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:392.
- V Patel et al. Methotrexate for maintenance of remission in Crohn's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 4:CD006884.
- BG Feagan et al. Methotrexate in combination with infliximab is no more effective than infliximab alone in patients with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:681.
- D Laharie et al. Ciclosporin versus infliximab in patients with severe ulcerative colitis refractory to intravenous steroids: a parallel, open-label randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012; 380:1909.
- H Ogata et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of oral tacrolimus (FK506) in the management of hospitalized patients with steroid-refractory ulcerative colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2012; 18:803.
- J Miyoshi et al. Mucosal healing with oral tacrolimus is associated with favorable medium- and long-term prognosis in steroid-refractory/dependent ulcerative colitis patients. J Crohns Colitis 2013; 7:e609.
- ME Gerich et al. Tacrolimus salvage in anti-tumor necrosis factor antibody treatment-refractory Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1107.
- Combined list of all QTdrugs and the list of drugs to avoid for patients with congenital long QT syndrome. Available at http://www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed July 23, 2014.
- TNF inhibitors for Crohn's disease: when, which, and for how long? Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:102.
- Golimumab (Simponi) for ulcerative colitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:25.
- JF Colombel et al. Therapeutic drug monitoring of biologics for inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2012; 18:349.
- M Regueiro et al. Postoperative therapy with infliximab prevents long-term Crohn's disease recurrence. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014 January 16 (epub).
- JF Colombel et al. Adalimumab for maintenance of clinical response and remission in patients with Crohn's disease: the CHARM trial. Gastroenterology 2007; 132:52.
- S Schreiber et al. Maintenance therapy with certolizumab pegol for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:239.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Adalimumab induction therapy for Crohn disease previously treated with infliximab: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146:829.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Certolizumab pegol in patients with moderate to severe Crohn's disease and secondary failure to infliximab. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010; 8:688.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Subcutaneous golimumab induces clinical response and remission in patients with moderate-to-severe ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:85.
- S Danese et al. Biological agents for moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis: a systematic review and network metaanalysis. Ann Intern Med 2014; 160:704.
- X Mariette et al. Malignancies associated with tumour necrosis factor inhibitors in registries and prospective observational studies: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Rheum Dis 2011; 70:1895.
- NN Andersen et al. Association between tumor necrosis factor-α antagonists and risk of cancer in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. JAMA 2014; 311:2406.
- Vedolizumab (Entyvio) for inflammatory bowel disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; in press.
- Natalizumab (Tysabri) for Crohn's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:34.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Vedolizumab as induction and maintenance therapy for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:711.
- BG Feagan et al. Vedolizumab as induction and maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:699.
- D Gevers et al. The treatment-naive microbiome in new-onset Crohn's disease. Cell Host Microbe 2014; 15:382.
- HH Herfarth et al. Ciprofloxacin for the prevention of postoperative recurrence in patients with Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1073.
- M Mañosa et al. Addition of metronidazole to azathioprine for the prevention of postoperative recurrence of Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1889.
- KJ Khan et al. Antibiotic therapy in inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:661.
- C Prantera et al. Rifaximin-extended intestinal release induces remission in patients with moderately active Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 2012; 142:473.
- P Gionchetti et al. The role of antibiotics and probiotics in pouchitis. Ann Gastroenterol 2012; 25:100.
- Probiotics revisited. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:3.
- M Guslandi. Role of probiotics in the management of pouchitis. Curr Pharm Des 2014; 20:4561.
- J Shen et al. Effect of probiotics on inducing remission and maintaining therapy in ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and pouchitis: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2014; 20:21.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.
Would you like to read the rest of this article? Gain access below.
Free trial offer
Purchase this article: