|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
Primary hypothyroidism is usually the result of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, thyroidectomy, or radioactive iodine therapy. Treatment of hypothyroidism with replacement doses of thyroid hormone is usually lifelong. Levothyroxine is the drug of choice.
LEVOTHYROXINE (LT4) — Pharmacokinetics – In healthy fasting adults, 70-80% of an oral dose of LT4 is absorbed in the jejunum and ileum. LT4 has a half-life of about 7 days, permitting once-daily dosing and maintenance of a steady state despite occasional missed doses. Steady state is reached after about 6 weeks of treatment. Maintaining a steady-state level in the blood ensures sufficient tissue concentrations for peripheral deiodination of biologically inactive T4 into active triiodothyronine (T3).
Dosage – LT4 has a narrow therapeutic index. The usual replacement dose is about 1.6-1.8 mcg/kg/day. Patients with thyroid cancer taking LT4 to suppress... more
- A Roos et al. The starting dose of levothyroxine in primary hypothyroidism treatment: a prospective, randomized, double-blind trial. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165:1714.
- J Jonklaas et al. Guidelines for the treatment of hypothyroidism - prepared by the American thyroid association task force on thyroid hormone replacement. Thyroid 2014; 24:1670.
- P Colucci et al. Pharmacokinetic equivalence of a levothyroxine sodium soft capsule manufactured using the new food and drug administration potency guidelines in healthy volunteers under fasting conditions. Ther Drug Monit 2011; 33:355.
- FS Celi et al. Metabolic effects of liothyronine therapy in hypothyroidism: a randomized, double-blind, crossover trial of liothyronine versus levothyroxine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:3466.
- FS Celi et al. The pharmacodynamic equivalence of levothyroxine and liothyronine: a randomized, double blind, cross-over study in thyroidectomized patients. Clin Endocrinol 2010; 72:709.
- WM Wiersinga et al. 2012 ETA Guidelines: the use of L-T4 + L-T3 in the treatment of hypothyroidism. Eur Thyroid J 2012; 1:55.
- V Panicker et al. Common variation in the DIO2 gene predicts baseline psychological well being and response to combination thyroxine plus triiiodothyronine therapy in hypothyroid patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009: 94:1623.
- TD Hoang et al. Desiccated thyroid extract compared with levothyroxine in the treatment of hypothyroidism: a randomized, double-blind, crossover study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98:1982.
- NK Moog et al. Influence of maternal thyroid hormones during gestation on fetal brain development. Neuroscience 2015 Oct 3 (epub).
- JR Garber et al. Clinical practice guidelines for hypothyroidism in adults: cosponsored by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American Thyroid Association. Thyroid 2012; 22:1200.
- MI Surks and JG Hollowell. Age-specific distribution of serum thyrotropin and antithyroid antibodies in the US population: implications for the prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92:4575.
- S Razvi et al. The influence of age on the relationship between subclinical hypothyroidism and ischemic heart disease: a metaanalysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:2998.
- S Razvi et al. Levothyroxine treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism, fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events, and mortality. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:811.