|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
The FDA has approved Bexsero (Novartis/GSK), a vaccine that protects against invasive meningococcal disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B. It is the second serogroup B meningococcal vaccine to be approved in the US; Trumenba was the first.1 Both vaccines are approved for use in persons 10-25 years old. Bexsero is approved in Europe, Canada, and Australia for use in children as young as 2 months old.
SEROGROUP B MENINGOCOCCAL DISEASE — Five major serogroups (A, B, C, Y, and W) of N. meningitidis cause most invasive meningococcal disease worldwide. In the US, serogroup B causes about 60% of all meningococcal disease in children <5 years old and about 50% of cases in young adults 17-22 years old.2 Until the approval of Trumenba last year, no vaccine was licensed in the US... more
- Trumenba: a serogroup B meningococcal vaccine. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:5.
- HM Soeters et al. Serogroup B meningococcal disease outbreak and carriage evaluation at a college — Rhode Island, 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2015; 64:606.
- LA McNamara et al. First use of a serogroup B meningococcal vaccine in the US in response to a university outbreak. Pediatrics 2015; 135:798.
- In brief: prevention of meningococcal B disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:97.
- T Nolan et al. Vaccination with a multicomponent meningococcal B vaccine in prevention of disease in adolescents and young adults. Vaccine 2015; 33:4437.
- KP Perrett et al. Immune responses to a recombinant, four-component, meningococcal serogroup B vaccine (4CMenB) in adolescents: a phase III, randomized, multicentre, lot-to-lot consistency study. Vaccine 2015; 33:5217.
- RC Read et al. Effect of a quadrivalent meningococcal ACWY glycoconjugate or a serogroup B meningococcal vaccine on meningococcal carriage: an observer-blind, phase 3 randomised clinical trial. Lancet 2014; 384: 2123.
- T Folaranmi et al. Use of serogroup B meningococcal vaccines in persons aged ≥10 years at increased risk for serogroup B meningococcal disease: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2015; 64:608.
- JR MacNeil et al. Use of serogroup B meningococcal vaccines in adolescents and young adults: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2015; 64:1171.