|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
The FDA has approved Onzetra Xsail (Avanir), a nasal powder formulation of sumatriptan, for acute treatment of migraine in adults. Nasal spray formulations of sumatriptan (Imitrex) and zolmitriptan (Zomig) have been available for many years.
SUMATRIPTAN FORMULATIONS — Subcutaneously administered sumatriptan relieves pain faster (in about 10 minutes) and more effectively than other triptan formulations, but it causes more adverse effects.1,2 With oral sumatriptan, onset of pain relief generally occurs 45-60 minutes after administration, but patients with migraine who have nausea, vomiting, or gastroparesis may not be able to take or absorb an oral triptan.3 Sumatriptan nasal spray formulations have a more rapid onset of action than oral tablets, but their efficacy also depends on GI absorption (of the significant... more
- Drugs for migraine. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2013; 11:107.
- CJ Derry et al. Sumatriptan (all routes of administration) for acute migraine attacks in adults – overview of Cochrane reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 5:CD009108.
- SD Silberstein and DA Marcus. Sumatriptan: treatment across the full spectrum of migraine. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2013; 14:1659.
- M Obaidi et al. Improved pharmacokinetics of sumatriptan with breath powered nasal delivery of sumatriptan powder. Headache 2013; 53:1323.
- RK Cady et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of breath powered nasal delivery of sumatriptan powder (AVP-825) in the treatment of acute migraine (The TARGET Study). Headache 2015; 55:88.
- SJ Tepper et al. AVP-825 breath-powered intranasal delivery system containing 22 mg sumatriptan powder vs 100 mg oral sumatriptan in the acute treatment of migraines (the COMPASS study): a comparative randomized clinical trial across multiple attacks. Headache 2015; 55:621.