|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
The FDA has approved tenofovir alafenamide (Vemlidy – Gilead) for treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in adults with compensated liver disease. It is the first single-drug product containing tenofovir alafenamide (TAF), a prodrug of the nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor tenofovir, to become available; several combination products containing TAF are approved for treatment of HIV-1 infection. Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF; Viread – Gilead), another tenofovir prodrug, has been used for many years for treatment of chronic HBV infection; a generic formulation of TDF is expected to become available in December 2017.
STANDARD TREATMENT — The goal of chronic HBV treatment is to reduce the risk of cirrhosis, hepatic failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Effective therapy can reduce the viral load and promote HBV e-antigen seroconversion (loss of HBeAg with development of... more
- P Martin et al. A treatment algorithm for the management of chronic hepatitis B virus infection in the United States: 2015 update. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015; 13:2071.
- NA Terrault et al. AASLD guidelines for treatment of chronic hepatitis B. Hepatology 2016; 63:261.
- AS Lok et al. Antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis B viral infection in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hepatology 2016; 63:284.
- Antiviral drugs. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2013; 11:19.
- E Murakami et al. Implications of efficient hepatic delivery by tenofovir alafenamide (GS-7340) for hepatitis B virus therapy. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2015; 59:3563.
- PJ Ruane et al. Antiviral activity, safety, and pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics of tenofovir alafenamide as 10-day monotherapy in HIV-1-positive adults. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2013; 63:449.
- M Buti et al. Tenofovir alafenamide versus tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for the treatment of patients with HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B virus infection: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 1:196.
- HLY Chan et al. Tenofovir alafenamide versus tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for the treatment of HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B virus infection: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 1:185.
- KK Mugwanya et al. Pre-exposure prophylaxis use by breastfeeding HIV-uninfected women: a prospective short-term study of antiretroviral excretion in breast milk and infant absorption. PLoS Med 2016 September 27 (epub).
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016 Aug 2 (epub). Available at: secure. medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2016.