|The full issue is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
The FDA has approved lixisenatide (Sanofi), a short-acting injectable GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) receptor agonist, for once-daily treatment of adults with type 2 diabetes, both alone (Adlyxin) and in a fixed-ratio combination with insulin glargine (Soliqua 100/33). Lixisenatide has been available since 2013 in many other countries as Lyxumia. It is the fifth GLP-1 receptor agonist to be approved in the US.
GLP-1 RECEPTOR AGONISTS — GLP-1 receptor agonists lower glucose levels by potentiating glucose-dependent secretion of insulin, suppressing postprandial glucagon secretion, slowing gastric emptying, and promoting satiety. They lower glycated hemoglobin (A1C) by about 1-1.5%, have been associated with average weight loss of 1.5-2.8 kg, and rarely cause hypoglycemia.1 The GLP-1 receptor agonist liraglutide (Victoza) has been shown... more
- Drugs for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:9.
- SP Marso et al. Liraglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:311.
- T Forst. Lixisenatide as add-on to insulin glargine for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2016; 17:1703.
- J Rosenstock et al. Efficacy and safety of lixisenatide once daily versus exenatide twice daily in type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on metformin: a 24-week, randomized, open-label, active-controlled study (GetGoal-X). Diabetes Care 2013; 36:2945.
- M Nauck et al. Once-daily liraglutide versus lixisenatide as add-on to metformin in type 2 diabetes: a 26-week randomized controlled clinical trial. Diabetes Care 2016; 39:1501.
- MA Pfeffer et al. Lixisenatide in patients with type 2 diabetes and acute coronary syndrome. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:2247.
- VR Aroda et al. Efficacy and safety of LixiLan, a titratable fixed-ratio combination of insulin glargine plus lixisenatide in type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on basal insulin and metformin: the LixiLan-L randomized trial. Diabetes Care 2016; 39:1972.
- J Rosenstock et al. Benefits of LixiLan, a titratable fixed-ratio combination of insulin glargine plus lixisenatide, versus insulin glargine and lixisenatide monocomponents in type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on oral agents: the LixiLan-O randomized trial. Diabetes Care 2016; 39:2026.