|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
The FDA has approved the immune checkpoint inhibitor atezolizumab (Tecentriq – Genentech) for treatment of locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma and metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that have progressed during or following platinum-based chemotherapy. Atezolizumab is the first programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) blocking antibody to become available in the US. Two other immune checkpoint inhibitors, the programmed death receptor-1 (PD-1) inhibitors nivolumab (Opdivo) and pembrolizumab (Keytruda), are also approved for treatment of metastatic NSCLC, and nivolumab is also approved for second-line treatment of locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma.
UROTHELIAL CARCINOMA — Urothelial carcinoma (also known as transitional cell carcinoma) is the most common type of bladder cancer in the US. Most urothelial cancers of the bladder are superficial... more
- M Hurwitz et al. Urothelial and kidney cancers. Oncology 2016 June 1. Available at www.cancernetwork.com/cancer-management/urothelial-and-kidney-cancers. Accessed February 16, 2017.
- PJ Cheetham and DP Petrylak. New agents for the treatment of advanced bladder cancer. Oncology (Williston Park) 2016; 30:571.
- GA Masters et al. Systemic therapy for stage IV non-small-cell lung cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline Update. J Clin Oncol 2015: 33:3488.
- JE Rosenberg et al. Atezolizumab in patients with locally advanced and metastatic urothelial carcinoma who have progressed following treatment with platinum-based chemotherapy: a single-arm, multicentre, phase 2 trial. Lancet 2016; 387:1909.
- AV Balar et al. Atezolizumab as first-line treatment in cisplatin-ineligible patients with locally advanced and metastatic urothelial carcinoma: a single-arm, multicentre, phase 2 trial. Lancet 2017; 389:67.
- A Rittmeyer et al. Atezolizumab versus docetaxel in patients with previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer (OAK): a phase 3, open-label, multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2017; 389:255.
- L Fehrenbacher et al. Atezolizumab versus docetaxel for patients with previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer (POPLAR): a multicentre, open-label, phase 2 randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2016; 387:1837.