|The full article is available to subscribers||Subscriber Login|
The FDA has approved ferric pyrophosphate citrate solution (Triferic – Rockwell Medical) to maintain hemoglobin concentrations in adults with hemodialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease. Triferic is the first iron replacement product that is added into the hemodialysis solution at each dialysis procedure.
IRON SUPPLEMENTATION — Iron deficiency anemia is common in patients with chronic kidney disease who require hemodialysis; contributing factors include gastrointestinal bleeding, blood draws, use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs), and hemodialysis itself. In these patients, IV iron is preferred over oral iron for supplementation because oral formulations are poorly absorbed.1 IV iron preparations approved for use in patients requiring hemodialysis include iron dextran (Dexferrum; INFeD), sodium ferric gluconate (Ferrlecit,... more
- J Albaramki et al. Parenteral versus oral iron therapy for adults and children with chronic kidney disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 1:CD007857.
- GR Bailie et al. Data from the dialysis outcomes and practice patterns study validate an association between high intravenous iron doses and mortality. Kidney Int 2015; 87:162.
- Ferric carboxymaltose (Injectafer) for iron deficiency anemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:99.
- SN Fishbane et al. Ferric pyrophosphate citrate (Triferic) administration via the dialysate maintains hemoglobin and iron balance in chronic hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2015; 30:2019.
- A Gupta et al. Ferric pyrophosphate citrate administered via dialysate reduces erythropoiesis-stimulating agent use and maintains hemoglobin in hemodialysis patients Kidney Int 2015; 88:1187.
- Approximate WAC. WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer's published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. March 5, 2017. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2017. www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy.