The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Tapinarof Cream (Vtama) for Psoriasis
June 22, 2022 (Issue: 5049)The FDA has approved Vtama (Dermavant), a 1% cream formulation of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) agonist tapinarof, for treatment of adults with plaque psoriasis. It is the first AhR agonist to be approved by the FDA.
- CA Elmets et al. Joint AAD-NPF guidelines of care for the management and treatment of psoriasis with topical therapy and alternative medicine modalities for psoriasis severity measures. J Am Acad Dermatol 2021; 84:432.
- Drugs for psoriasis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:89.
- R Bissonnette et al. Tapinarof in the treatment of psoriasis: a review of the unique mechanism of action of a novel therapeutic aryl hydrocarbon receptor-modulating agent. J Am Acad Dermatol 2021; 84:1059.
- JE Jett et al. Tapinarof cream 1% for extensive plaque psoriasis: a maximal use trial on safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics. Am J Clin Dermatol 2022; 23:83.
- MG Lebwohl et al. Phase 3 trials of tapinarof cream for plaque psoriasis. N Engl J Med 2021; 385:2219.
- Dermavant showcases new long-term durability and tolerability data from phase 3 PSOARING 3 trial of tapinarof cream for adults with plaque psoriasis at the 2022 AAD Annual Meeting. Press Release March 25, 2022. Available at dermavant.com.
- AS Paller et al. Efficacy and patient-reported outcomes from a phase 2b, randomized clinical trial of tapinarof cream for the treatment of adolescents and adults with atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol 2021; 84:632.
- R Bissonnette et al. Tapinarof-associated folliculitis is generally mild, self-limiting, and rarely interferes with therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol 2021; 85:e39.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.