|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
1. DA Talan et al. Comparison of Staphylococcus aureus from skin and soft-tissue infections in US emergency department patients, 2004 and 2008. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 53:144.
2. SD Kobayashi and FR DeLeo. An update on community-associated MRSA virulence. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2009; 9:545.
3. C Liu et al. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52:285.
4. Ceftaroline fosamil (Teflaro) - a new IV cephalosporin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:5.
5. BA Lipsky et al. 2012 Infectious Disease Society of America clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of diabetic foot infections. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54:e132.
6. B Spellberg and BA Lipsky. Systemic antibiotic therapy for chronic osteomyelitis in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54:393.
7. I Byren et al. Pharmacotherapy of diabetic foot osteomyelitis. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2009; 10:3033.
8. I García-De La Torre and A Nava-Zavala. Gonococcal and nongonococcal arthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2009; 35:63.
9. DR Osmon et al. Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56:e1.
10. JR Samuel and FK Gould. Prosthetic joint infections: single versus combination therapy. J Antimicrob Chemother 2010; 65:18.
11. AWChow et al. IDSA clinical practice guideline for acute bacterial rhinosinusitis in children and adults. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54:e72.
12. A Zalmanovici and J Yaphe. Intranasal steroids for acute sinusitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 4:CD005149.
13. ST Shulman et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of Group A streptococcal pharyngitis: 2012 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 55:1279.
14. AL Myers et al. Genetic commonality of macrolide-resistant group A beta hemolytic streptococcus pharyngeal strains. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 2009; 8:33.
15. J Aspa et al. Pneumococcal antimicrobial resistance: therapeutic strategy and management in community-acquired pneumonia. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2008; 9:229.
16. LA Mandell et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44 Suppl 2: S27.
17. AD Mosholder et al. Cardiovascular risks with azithromycin and other antibacterial drugs. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1665.
18. AN Kieninger and PA Lipsett. Hospital-acquired pneumonia: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Surg Clin North Am 2009; 89:439.
19. LE Nicolle et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40:643.
20. K Gupta et al. International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: A 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52:e103.
21. K Gupta et al. Short-course nitrofurantoin for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis in women. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167:2207.
22. ME Falagas et al. Fosfomycin versus other antibiotics for the treatment of cystitis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Antimicrob Chemother 2010; 65:1862.
23. TM Hooton. Uncomplicated urinary tract infection. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1028.
24. AM Macejko and AJ Schaeffer. Asymptomatic bacteriuria and symptomatic urinary tract infections during pregnancy. Urol Clin North Am 2007; 34:35.
25. AB Murphy et al. Chronic prostatitis: management strategies. Drugs 2009; 69:71.
26. JS Solomkin et al. Diagnosis and management of complicated intra-abdominal infection in adults and children: guidelines by the Surgical Infection Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2010; 50:133.
27. GE Stein and T Babinchak. Tigecycline: an update. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2013; 75:331.
28. P Prasad et al. Excess deaths associated with tigecycline after approval based on noninferiority trials. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54:1699.
29. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Increased risk of death with Tygacil (tigecycline) compared to other antibiotics used to treat similar infections. Available at http://www.fda.gov. Accessed June 5, 2013.
30. LV McFarland. Renewed interest in a difficult disease: Clostridium difficile infections—epidemiology and current treatment strategies. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2009; 25:24.
31. SH Cohen et al. Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010; 31:431.
32. CM Surawicz et al. Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of Clostridium difficile infections. Am J Gastroenterol 2013; 108:478.
33. Treatment of Clostridium difficile infection. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:14.
34. TJ Louie et al. Fidaxomicin versus vancomycin for Clostridium difficile infection. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:422.
35. Fidaxomicin (Dificid) for Clostridium difficile infection. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:73.
36. KS Kim. Acute bacterial meningitis in infants and children. Lancet Infect Dis 2010; 10:32.
37. D van de Beek et al. Nosocomial bacterial meningitis. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:146.
38. F Allerberger and M Wagner. Listeriosis: a resurgent foodborne infection. Clin Microbiol Infect 2010; 16:16.
39. Cephalosporins for patients with penicillin allergy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:101.
40. D van de Beek et al. Corticosteroids for acute bacterial meningitis (Review). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 1:CD004405.
41. RP Dellinger et al. Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2012. Crit Care Med. 2013; 41:580.
42. ST Micek et al. Empiric combination antibiotic therapy is associated with improved outcome against sepsis due to gram-negative bacteria: a retrospective analysis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010; 54:1742.
43. B Hoen and X Duval. Clinical practice. Infective endocarditis. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1425.
44. AG Freifeld et al. Clinical practice guideline for the use of antimicrobial agents in neutropenic patients with cancer: 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52:e56.
45. JLWang and PR Hsueh. Therapeutic options for infections due to vancomycin-resistant enterococci. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2009; 10:785.
46. NY Lee et al. Carbapenem therapy for bacteremia due to extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli or Klebsiella pneumoniae: implications of ertapenem susceptibility. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012; 56:2888.
47. JJ Fong et al. Clinical outcomes with ertapenem as a first-line treatment option of infections caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase producing gram-negative bacteria. Ann Pharmacother 2012; 46:347.
48. EA Neuner et al. Experience with fosfomycin for treatment of urinary tract infections due to multidrug-resistant organisms. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012; 56:5744.
49. A Michalopoulos et al. Intravenous fosfomycin for the treatment of nosocomial infections caused by carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in critically ill patients: a prospective evaluation. Clin Microbiol Infect 2010; 16:184.
50. CH Kvitko. Polymyxin B versus other antimicrobials for the treatment of Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteraemia. J Antimicrob Chemother 2011; 66:175.
51. RE Mendes et al. Comprehensive assessment of tigecycline activity tested against a worldwide collection of Acinetobacter spp. (2005-2009). Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2010; 68:307.