|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
1. FRAX. WHO Fracture Risk Assessment Tool. Available at www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX. Accessed October 5, 2011.
2. RM Daly et al. Calcium- and vitamin D3-fortified milk reduces bone loss at clinically relevant skeletal sites in older men: a 2 year randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 2006; 21:397.
3. AM Grant et al. Oral vitamin D3 and calcium for secondary prevention of low-trauma fractures in elderly people (Randomised Evaluation of Calcium or Vitamin D, RECORD): a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 365:1621.
4. J Porthouse et al. Randomised controlled trial of calcium and supplementation with cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) for prevention of fractures in primary care. BMJ 2005; 330:1003.
5. RD Jackson et al. Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of fractures. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:669.
6. HA Bischoff-Ferrari et al. Fracture prevention with vitamin D supplementation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. JAMA 2005; 293:2257.
7. BM Tang et al. Use of calcium or calcium in combination with vitamin D supplementation to prevent fractures and bone loss in people aged 50 years and older: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2007; 370:657.
8. Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Available at http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Calcium-and-Vitamin-D.aspx. Accessed October 5, 2011.
9. B Dawson-Hughes et al. IOF position statement: vitamin D recommendations for older adults. Osteoporosis Int 2010; 21:1151.
10. ML Holick et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:1911.
11. RB Wallace et al. Urinary tract stone occurrence in the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) randomized clinical trial of calcium and vitamin D supplements. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 94:270.
12. J Hsia et al. Calcium/vitamin D supplementation and cardiovascular events. Circulation 2007; 115:846.
13. MJ Bolland et al. Effect of calcium supplements on risk of myocardial infarction and cardiovascular events: meta-analysis. BMJ 2010; 341:c3691.
14. MJ Bolland et al. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women’s Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ 2011; 342:d2040.
15. L Wang et al. Systematic review: Vitamin D and calcium supplementation in prevention of cardiovascular events. Ann Intern Med 2010; 152:315.
16. KM Sanders et al. Annual high-dose oral vitamin D and falls and fractures in older women: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2010; 303:1815.
17. RZ Stolzenberg-Solomon et al. Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of pancreatic cancer: Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol 2010; 172:81.
18. KJ Helzlsouer et al; VDDP Steering Committee. Overview of the Cohort Consortium Vitamin D Pooling Project of Rarer Cancers. Am J Epidemiol 2010; 172:4.
19. DM Black et al. Effects of continuing or stopping alendronate after 5 years of treatment: the Fracture Intervention Trial Long-term Extension (FLEX): a randomized trial. JAMA 2006; 296:2927.
20. AV Schwartz et al. Efficacy of continued alendronate for fractures in women with and without prevalent vertebral fracture: the FLEX trial. J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25:976.
21. HG Bone et al. Ten years’ experience with alendronate for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 2004; 350:1189.
22. In brief: delayed-release risedronate (Atelvia). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:24.
23. Monthly risedronate (Actonel) for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:69.
24. MR McClung et al. BMD response to delayed-release risedronate 35 mg once-a-week formulation taken with or without breakfast. J Clin Densitom 2010; 13:132; Poster number 067.
25. NB Watts et al. Fracture risk remains reduced one year after discontinuation of risedronate. Osteoporos Int 2008; 19:365.
26. CH Chesnut et al. Ibandronate produces significant, similar antifracture efficacy in North American and European women: new clinical findings from BONE. Curr Med Res Opin 2005; 21:391.
27. JA Eisman et al. Efficacy and tolerability of intravenous ibandronate injections in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 2-year results from the DIVA study. J Rheumatol 2008; 35:488.
28. ST Harris et al. Ibandronate and the risk of non-vertebral and clinical fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: results of a meta-analysis of phase III studies. Curr Med Res Opin 2008; 24:237.
29. A Cranney et al. Ibandronate for the prevention of nonvertebral fractures: a pooled analysis of individual patient data. Osteoporos Int 2009; 20:291.
30. A once-yearly IV bisphosphonate for osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2007; 49:89.
31. DM Black et al. Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:1809.
32. A Grey et al. Prolonged antiresorptive activity of zoledronate: a randomized, controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25:2251.
33. DK Wysowski. Reports of esophageal cancer with oral bisphosphonate use. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:89.
34. B Abrahamsen et al. More on reports of esophageal cancer with oral bisphosphonate use. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:1789.
35. CR Cardwell et al. Exposure to oral bisphosphonates and risk of esophageal cancer. JAMA 2010; 304:657.
36. DK Wysowski and JT Chang. Alendronate and risedronate: reports of severe bone, joint, and muscle pain. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165:346.
37. S Fedele et al. Nonexposed variant of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: a case series. Am J Med 2010; 123:1060.
38. M Pazianas et al. Atrial fibrillation and bisphosphonate therapy. J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25:2.
39. Reclast (zoledronic acid): Drug Safety Communication – new contraindication and updated warning on kidney impairment. Available at www.fda.gov. Accessed October 5, 2011.
40. BA Lenart et al. Atypical fractures of the femoral diaphysis in postmenopausal women taking alendronate. N Engl J Med 2008; 358:1304.
41. LY Park-Wyllie et al. Bisphosphonate use and the risk of subtrochanteric or femoral shaft fractures in older women. JAMA 2011; 305:783.
42. Raloxifene for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 1998; 40:29.
43. E Barrett-Connor et al. Effects of raloxifene on cardiovascular events and breast cancer in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 2006; 355:125.
44. JS Finkelstein et al. Effects of teriparatide retreatment in osteoporotic men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:2495.
45. F Cosman et al. Retreatment with teriparatide one year after the first teriparatide course in patients on continued long-term alendronate. J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24:1110.
46. CH Chesnut III et al. A randomized trial of nasal spray salmon calcitonin in postmenopausal women with established osteoporosis: the prevent recurrence of osteoporotic fractures study. PROOF Study Group. Am J Med 2000; 109:267.
47. Denosumab (Prolia) for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:81.
48. HG Bone et al. Effects of denosumab treatment and discontinuation on bone mineral density and bone tumor markers in postmenopausal women with low bone mass. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:972.
49. F Cosman et al. Daily and cyclic parathyroid hormone in women receiving alendronate. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:566.
50. BM Obermayer-Pietsch et al. Effects of two years of daily teriparatide treatment on BMD in postmenopausal women with severe osteoporosis with and without prior antiresorptive treatment. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23:1591.
51. S Boonen et al. Effects of previous antiresorptive therapy on the bone mineral density response to two years of teriparatide treatment in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:852.
52. F Cosman et al. Effect of prior and ongoing raloxifene therapy on response to PTH and maintenance of BMD after PTH therapy. Osteoporos Int 2008; 19:529.
53. DM Black et al. One year of alendronate after one year of parathyroid hormone (1-84) for osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:555.
54. R Eastell et al. Sequential treatment of severe postmenopausal osteoporosis after teriparatide: final results of the randomized, controlled European Study of Forsteo (EUROFORS). J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24:726.