Drugs for Asthma
February 1, 2012 (Issue: 114)
Inhalation is the preferred route of delivery for most
asthma drugs. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which
have ozone-depleting properties, are being phased out
as propellants in metered-dose inhalers. Non-chlorinated
1. CH Fanta. Asthma. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:1002.
2. PM O’Byrne. Therapeutic strategies to reduce asthma exacerbations. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:257.
3. JM Weiler et al. Pathogenesis, prevalence, diagnosis, and management of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: a practice parameter. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2010; 105 (6 suppl):S1.
4. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. National Asthma Education and Prevention Program (NAEPP). Expert Panel Report (EPR) 3. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Full Report 2007. Available at www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/index.htm. Accessed January 18, 2012.
5. RC Strunk et al. Long-term budesonide or nedocromil treatment, once discontinued, does not alter the course of mild to moderate asthma in children and adolescents. J Pediatr 2009; 154:682.
6. HW Kelly. Comparison of inhaled corticosteroids: an update. Ann Pharmacother 2009; 43:519.
7. S Pedersen. Clinical safety of inhaled corticosteroids for asthma in children: an update of long-term trials. Drug Saf 2006; 29:599.
8. PM O’Byrne et al. Risks of pneumonia in patients with asthma taking inhaled corticosteroids. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:589.
9. E Bateman et al. Meta-analysis: effects of adding salmeterol to inhaled corticosteroids on serious asthma-related events. Ann Intern Med 2008; 149:33.
10. RF Lemanske, Jr et al. Step-up therapy for children with uncontrolled asthma receiving inhaled corticosteroids. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:975.
11. AW McMahon et al. Age and risks of FDA-approved long-acting ß-adrenergic receptor agonists. Pediatrics 2011; 128:e1147.
12. BA Chowdhury et al. Assessing the safety of adding LABAs to inhaled corticosteroids for treating asthma. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:2473.
13. PM O’Byrne et al. Efficacy of leukotriene receptor antagonists and synthesis inhibitors in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:397.
14. SP Peters et al. Tiotropium bromide step-up therapy for adults with uncontrolled asthma. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:1715.
15. HA Kerstjens et al. Tiotropium improves lung function in patients with severe uncontrolled asthma: a randomized controlled trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:308.
16. GJ Rodrigo et al. Efficacy and safety of subcutaneous omalizumab vs placebo as add-on therapy to corticosteroids for children and adults with asthma: a systematic review. Chest 2011; 139:28.
17. NA Hanania et al. Omalizumab in severe allergic asthma inadequately controlled with standard therapy: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2011; 154:573.
18. WW Busse et al. Randomized trial of omalizumab (anti-IgE) for asthma in inner-city children. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1005.
19. L Cox et al. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology/American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Omalizumab-Associated Anaphylaxis Joint Task Force follow-up report. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:210.
20. MA Calderón et al. Allergen-specific immunotherapy for respiratory allergies: from meta-analysis to registration and beyond. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:30.
21. Bronchial thermoplasty for asthma. Med Lett Dugs Ther 2010; 52:65.
22. NC Thomson et al. Long-term (5 year) safety of bronchial thermoplasty: Asthma Intervention Research (AIR) trial. BMC Pulm Med 2011; 11:8.
23. FM Ducharme et al. Written action plan in pediatric emergency room improves asthma prescribing, adherence, and control. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:195.
24. J Oborne et al. Quadrupling the dose of inhaled corticosteroid to prevent asthma exacerbations: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group clinical trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 180:598.
25. SC Lazarus. Emergency treatment of asthma. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:755.
26. V Bougault et al. Airway hyperresponsiveness in elite swimmers: is it a transient phenomenon? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:892.
27. M Schatz and MP Dombrowski. Asthma in pregnancy. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:1862.
28. NA Hodyl et al. Fetal glucocorticoid-regulated pathways are not affected by inhaled corticosteroid use for asthma during pregnancy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:716.
29. L Blais et al. High doses of inhaled corticosteroids during the first trimester of pregnancy and congenital malformations. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:1229.
30. LN Bakhireva et al. Safety of leukotriene receptor antagonists in pregnancy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 119:618.
31. PG Gibson et al. Asthma in older adults. Lancet 2010; 376:803.
32. CE Reed. Asthma in the elderly: diagnosis and management. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 126:681.
33. NA Hanania et al. Asthma in the elderly: Current understanding and future research needs—a report of a National Institute on Aging (NIA) workshop. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:S4.
34. M Cazzola et al. Asthma and comorbid medical illness. Eur Respir J 2011; 38:42.
35. J Bousquet et al. Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma (ARIA) 2008 update (in collaboration with the World Health Organization, GA(2)LEN and AllerGen). Allergy 2008; 63 Suppl 86:8.
36. TO Kiljander et al. Effect of esomeprazole 40 mg once or twice daily on asthma: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010; 181:1042.
37. American Lung Association Asthma Clinical Research Centers et al. Efficacy of esomeprazole for treatment of poorly controlled asthma. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:1487.
38. E Forno et al. Decreased response to inhaled steroids in overweight and obese asthmatic children. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:741.
39. AE Dixon et al. Effects of obesity and bariatric surgery on airway hyperresponsiveness, asthma control, and inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:508.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.
Would you like to read the rest of this article? Gain access below.