|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
1. RE Fleming and P Ponka. Mechanism of disease: iron overload in human disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:348.
2. Deferasirox (Exjade): a new iron chelator. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:35.
3. FDA. New drug application 21-825 Ferriprox (deferiprone) sponsor's proposed indication. Available at http://www.fda.gov. Accessed February 9, 2012.
4. DJ Pennell et al. Randomized controlled trial of deferiprone or deferoxamine in beta-thalassemia major patients with asymptomatic myocardial siderosis. Blood 2006; 107:3738.
5. C Borgna-Pignatti et al. Cardiac morbidity and mortality in deferoxamine- or deferiprone-treated patients with thalassemia major. Blood 2006; 107:3733.
6. A Piga et al. Comparative effects of deferiprone and deferoxamine on survival and cardiac disease in patients with thalassemia major: a retrospective analysis. Haematologica 2003; 88:489.