The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
August 4, 2014 (Issue: 1448)
- GT Ho et al. The efficacy of corticosteroid therapy in inflammatory bowel disease: analysis of a 5-year UK inception cohort. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 24:319.
- Budesonide (Uceris) for ulcerative colitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:23.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:e44.
- A Timmer et al. Azathioprine and 6-mercaptopurine for maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 9:CD000478.
- E Prefontaine et al. Azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine for maintenance of remission in Crohn's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 1:CD000067.
- JF Colombel et al. Infliximab, azathioprine, or combination therapy for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:1383.
- R Panaccione et al. Combination therapy with infliximab and azathioprine is superior to monotherapy with either agent in ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:392.
- V Patel et al. Methotrexate for maintenance of remission in Crohn's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 4:CD006884.
- BG Feagan et al. Methotrexate in combination with infliximab is no more effective than infliximab alone in patients with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:681.
- D Laharie et al. Ciclosporin versus infliximab in patients with severe ulcerative colitis refractory to intravenous steroids: a parallel, open-label randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012; 380:1909.
- H Ogata et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of oral tacrolimus (FK506) in the management of hospitalized patients with steroid-refractory ulcerative colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2012; 18:803.
- J Miyoshi et al. Mucosal healing with oral tacrolimus is associated with favorable medium- and long-term prognosis in steroid-refractory/dependent ulcerative colitis patients. J Crohns Colitis 2013; 7:e609.
- ME Gerich et al. Tacrolimus salvage in anti-tumor necrosis factor antibody treatment-refractory Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1107.
- Combined list of all QTdrugs and the list of drugs to avoid for patients with congenital long QT syndrome. Available at http://www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed July 23, 2014.
- TNF inhibitors for Crohn's disease: when, which, and for how long? Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:102.
- Golimumab (Simponi) for ulcerative colitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:25.
- JF Colombel et al. Therapeutic drug monitoring of biologics for inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2012; 18:349.
- M Regueiro et al. Postoperative therapy with infliximab prevents long-term Crohn's disease recurrence. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014 January 16 (epub).
- JF Colombel et al. Adalimumab for maintenance of clinical response and remission in patients with Crohn's disease: the CHARM trial. Gastroenterology 2007; 132:52.
- S Schreiber et al. Maintenance therapy with certolizumab pegol for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:239.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Adalimumab induction therapy for Crohn disease previously treated with infliximab: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146:829.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Certolizumab pegol in patients with moderate to severe Crohn's disease and secondary failure to infliximab. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010; 8:688.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Subcutaneous golimumab induces clinical response and remission in patients with moderate-to-severe ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:85.
- S Danese et al. Biological agents for moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis: a systematic review and network metaanalysis. Ann Intern Med 2014; 160:704.
- X Mariette et al. Malignancies associated with tumour necrosis factor inhibitors in registries and prospective observational studies: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Rheum Dis 2011; 70:1895.
- NN Andersen et al. Association between tumor necrosis factor-α antagonists and risk of cancer in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. JAMA 2014; 311:2406.
- Vedolizumab (Entyvio) for inflammatory bowel disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; in press.
- Natalizumab (Tysabri) for Crohn's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:34.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Vedolizumab as induction and maintenance therapy for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:711.
- BG Feagan et al. Vedolizumab as induction and maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:699.
- D Gevers et al. The treatment-naive microbiome in new-onset Crohn's disease. Cell Host Microbe 2014; 15:382.
- HH Herfarth et al. Ciprofloxacin for the prevention of postoperative recurrence in patients with Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1073.
- M Mañosa et al. Addition of metronidazole to azathioprine for the prevention of postoperative recurrence of Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1889.
- KJ Khan et al. Antibiotic therapy in inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:661.
- C Prantera et al. Rifaximin-extended intestinal release induces remission in patients with moderately active Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 2012; 142:473.
- P Gionchetti et al. The role of antibiotics and probiotics in pouchitis. Ann Gastroenterol 2012; 25:100.
- Probiotics revisited. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:3.
- M Guslandi. Role of probiotics in the management of pouchitis. Curr Pharm Des 2014; 20:4561.
- J Shen et al. Effect of probiotics on inducing remission and maintaining therapy in ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and pouchitis: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2014; 20:21.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.