The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Tobacco Dependence
February 29, 2016 (Issue: 1489)
- MC Fiore et al. Treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update U.S. Public Health Service Clinical Practice Guideline executive summary. Respir Care 2008; 53:1217.
- AL Siu et al. Behavioral and pharmacotherpy interventions for tobacco smoking cessation in adults, including pregnant women: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2015; 163:622.
- N Lindson-Hawley et al. Gradual reduction vs abrupt cessation as a smoking cessation strategy in smokers who want to quit. JAMA 2013; 310:91.
- LF Stead et al. Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 11:CD000146.
- AC Farley et al. Interventions for preventing weight gain after smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 1:CD006219.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:e44.
- LA Kroon. Drug interactions with smoking. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2007; 64:1917.
- JR Hughes et al. Antidepressants for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 1:CD000031.
- JT Hays and JO Ebbert. Bupropion for the treatment of tobacco dependence: guidelines for balancing risks and benefits. CNS Drugs 2003; 17:71.
- Varenicline (Chantix) for tobacco dependence. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:66.
- EJ Mills et al. Comparisons of high-dose and combination nicotine replacement therapy, varenicline, and bupropion for smoking cessation: a systematic review and multiple treatment meta-analysis. Ann Med 2012; 44:588.
- K Cahill et al. Pharmacological interventions for smoking cessation: an overview and network meta-analysis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; 5:CD009329.
- TB Baker et al. Effects of nicotine patch vs varenicline vs combination nicotine replacement therapy on smoking cessation at 26 weeks: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2016; 315:371.
- D Kotz et al. Cardiovascular and neuropsychiatric risks of varenicline: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Respir Med 2015; 3:761.
- RM Anthenelli et al. Effects of varenicline on smoking cessation in adults with stably treated current or past major depression: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2013; 159:390.
- AE Evins et al. Maintenance treatment with varenicline for smoking cessation in patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 311:145.
- JR Hughes. Varenicline as a cause of suicidal outcomes. Nicotine Tob Res 2016; 18:2.
- MB Steinberg et al. Triple-combination pharmocotherapy for medically ill smokers: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150:447.
- CF Koegelenberg et al. Efficacy of varenicline combined with nicotine replacement therapy vs varenicline alone for smoking cessation: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 312:155.
- JO Ebbert et al. Combination varenicline and bupropion SR for tobacco-dependence treatment in cigarette smokers: a randomized trial. JAMA 2014; 311:155.
- M Siahpush et al. Association between duration of use of pharmacotherapy and smoking cessation: findings from a national survey. BMJ Open 2015; 5:e006229.
- P Caponnetto et al. Efficiency and safety of an electronic cigarette (ECLAT) as tobacco cigarettes substitute: a prospective 12-month randomized control design study. PLoS One 2013; 8:e66317.
- C Bullen et al. Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2013; 382:1629.
- S Kalkhoran and SA Glantz. E-cigarettes and smoking cessation in real-world and clinical settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Respir Med 2016; 4:116.
- H McRobbie et al. Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation and reduction. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 12:CD010216.
- L McCauley et al. An unexpected consequence of electronic cigarette use. Chest 2012; 141:1110.
- FDA. Summary of results: laboratory analysis of electronic cigarettes conducted by FDA. April 22, 2014. Available at www. fda.gov. Accessed February 18, 2016.
- ML Goniewicz et al. Levels of selected carcinogens and toxicants in vapour from electronic cigarettes. Tob Control 2014; 23:133.
- R Goel et al. Highly reactive free radicals in electronic cigarette aerosols. Chem Res Toxicol 2015; 28:1675.
- T Coleman et al. Pharmacological interventions for promoting smoking cessation during pregnancy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 12:CD010078.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.