The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
July 4, 2016 (Issue: 1498)
- LH Chen and DH Hamer. Zika virus: rapid spread in the Western Hemisphere. Ann Intern Med 2016; 164:613.
- E Dirlikov et al. Update: Ongoing Zika virus transmission – Puerto Rico, November 1, 2015-April 14, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2016; 65:451.
- CDC/EPA. Joint statement on insect repellents from the Environmental Protection Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. July 17, 2014. Available at: https://www.epa.gov. Accessed June 23, 2016.
- E Lupi et al. The efficacy of repellents against Aedes, Anopheles, Culex and Ixodes spp. – a literature review. Travel Med Infect Dis 2013; 11:374.
- Advice for travelers. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:52.
- MS Fradin and JF Day. Comparative efficacy of insect repellents against mosquito bites. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:13.
- Picaridin – a new insect repellent. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2005; 47:46.
- SP Frances et al. Field evaluation of repellent formulations against daytime and nighttime biting mosquitoes in a tropical rainforest in northern Australia. J Med Entomol 2002; 39:541.
- F Pages et al. Tick repellents for human use: prevention of tick bites and tick-borne diseases. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2014; 14:85.
- LI Goodyer et al. Expert review of the evidence base for arthropod bite avoidance. J Travel Med 2010; 17:182.
- SP Frances et al. Comparative field evaluation of repellent formulations containing deet and IR3535 against mosquitoes in Queensland, Australia. J Am Mosq Control Assoc 2009; 25:511.
- C Kongkaew et al. Effectiveness of citronella preparations in preventing mosquito bites: systematic review of controlled laboratory experimental studies. Trop Med Int Health 2011; 16:802.
- Y Trongtokit et al. Comparative repellency of 38 essential oils against mosquito bites. Phytother Res 2005; 19:303.
- NJ Miller et al. Tick bite protection with permethrin-treated summer-weight clothing. J Med Entomol 2011; 48:327.
- MF Vaughn et al. Long-lasting permethrin impregnated uniforms: a randomized-controlled trial for tick bite prevention. Am J Prev Med 2014; 46:473.
- B Londono-Renteria et al. Long-lasting permethrin-impregnated clothing protects against mosquito bites in outdoor workers. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2015; 93:869.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. Repellent-treated clothing. Last updated March 29, 2016. Available at: https://www.epa.gov. Accessed June 23, 2016.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.