The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Cardiovascular Effects of Some Antidiabetic Drugs
Cardiovascular Effects of Some Antidiabetic Drugs
August 14, 2017 (Issue: 1527)...more
- Guidance for industry. Diabetes mellitus – evaluating cardiovascular risk in new antidiabetic therapies to treat type 2 diabetes. Avaiable at: www.fda.gov. Accessed August 2, 2017.
- Drugs for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:9.
- J Flory. Will cardiovascular outcomes data on newer diabetes drugs bury the older agents? JAMA Intern Med 2017; 177:301.
- UKPDS Group. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Lancet 1998; 352:837.
- RR Holman et al. 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:1577.
- CL Roumie et al. Comparative effectiveness of sulfonylurea and metformin monotherapy on cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2012; 157:601.
- J Hong et al. Effects of metformin versus glipizide on cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and coronary artery disease. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:1304.
- JC Prentice et al. Capitalizing on prescribing pattern variation to compare medications for type 2 diabetes. Value in Health 2014; 17:854.
- D Varvaki Rados et al. The association between sulfonylurea use and all-cause and cardiovascular mortality: a meta-analysis with trial sequential analysis of randomized clinical trials. PLoS Med 2016; 13:e1001992.
- SP Marso et al. Liraglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:311.
- SP Marso et al. Semaglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:1834.
- MA Pfeffer et al. Lixisenatide in patients with type 2 diabetes and acute coronary syndrome. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:2247.
- M Fisher et al. Cardiovascular safety of albiglutide in the Harmony programme: a meta-analysis. Lancet Diabetes Edocrinol 2015; 3:697.
- KC Ferdinand et al. Cardiovascular safety for once-weekly dulaglutide in type 2 diabetes: a pre-specified meta-analysis of prospectively adjudicated cardiovascular events. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2016; 15:38.
- BM Scirica et al. Saxagliptin and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1317.
- WB White et al. Alogliptin after acute coronary syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1327.
- F Zannad et al. Heart failure and mortality outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes taking alogliptin versus placebo in EXAMINE: a multicentre, randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet 2015; 385:2067.
- JB Green et al. Effect of sitagliptin on cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:232.
- J Rosenstock et al. Cardiovascular safety of linagliptin in type 2 diabetes: a comprehensive patient-level pooled analysis of prospectively adjudicated cardiovascular events. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2015; 14:57.
- KB Filion et al. A multicenter observational study of incretin-based drugs and heart failure. N Engl J Med 2016: 374:1145.
- B Zinman et al. Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:2117.
- B Neal et al. Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2017 June 12 (epub).
- AV Hernandez et al. Thiazolidinediones and risk of heart failure in patients with or at high risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis of placebo-controlled randomized clinical trials. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2011; 11:115.
- SE Nissen and K Wolski. Effect of rosiglitazone on the risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causes. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:2457.
- KW Mahaffey et al. Results of a reevaluation of cardiovascular outcomes in the RECORD trial. Am Heart J 2013; 166:240.
- In brief: Rosiglitazone (Avandia) unbound. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:12.
- JA Dormandy et al. Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the PROactive Study (PROspective pioglitAzone Clinical Trial In macroVascular Events): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 366:1279.
- HW Liao et al. Pioglitazone and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with insulin resistance, pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open 2017; 7:e013927.
- NAVIGATOR Study Group. Effect of nateglinide on the incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:1463.
- ORIGIN Trial investigators. Basal insulin and cardiovascular and other outcomes in dysglycemia. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:319.
- SP Marso et al. Efficacy and safety of degludec versus glargine in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2017 June 12 (epub).
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.