The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Asthma
August 28, 2017 (Issue: 1528)
- JL McCracken et al. Diagnosis and management of asthma in adults: a review. JAMA 2017; 318:279.
- KR Jat and A Khairwa. Levalbuterol versus albuterol for acute asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2013; 26:239.
- JP Parsons et al. An official American Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline: exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 187:1016.
- MA Rank et al. The risk of asthma exacerbation after stopping low-dose inhaled corticosteroids: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 131:724.
- JK Mukker et al. Ciclesonide: a pro-soft drug approach for mitigation of side effects of inhaled corticosteroids. J Pharm Sci 2016; 105:2509.
- HW Kelly et al. Effect of inhaled glucocorticoids in childhood on adult height. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:904.
- AL Fuhlbrigge and HW Kelly. Inhaled corticosteroids in children: effects on bone mineral density and growth. Lancet Respir Med 2014; 2:487.
- PM O’Byrne et al. Risks of pneumonia in patients with asthma taking inhaled corticosteroids. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:589.
- DA Stempel et al. Serious asthma events with fluticasone plus salmeterol versus fluticasone alone. N Engl J Med 2016; 374: 1822.
- SP Peters et al. Serious asthma events with budesonide plus formoterol vs. budesonide alone. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:850.
- DA Stempel et al. Safety of adding salmeterol to fluticasone propionate in children with asthma. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:840.
- D Radovanovic et al. The evidence on tiotropium bromide in asthma: from the rationale to the bedside. Multidiscip Respir Med 2017; 12:12.
- KM Kew and K Dahri. Long-acting muscarinic antagonists (LAMA) added to combination long-acting beta2-agonists and inhaled corticosteroids (LABA/ICS) versus LABA/ICS for adults with asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 1:CD011721.
- LA Lee et al. The effect of fluticasone furoate/umeclidinium in adult patients with asthma: a randomized, dose-ranging study. Respir Med 2015; 109:54.
- TE Albertson et al. Muscarinic antagonists in early stage clinical development for the treatment of asthma. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2017; 26:35.
- HA Kerstjens et al. Tiotropium for the treatment of asthma: a drug safety evaluation. Expert Opin Drug Saf 2016; 15:1115.
- G Calapai et al. Montelukast-induced adverse drug reactions: a review of case reports in the literature. Pharmacology 2014; 94:60.
- Global Initiative for Asthma. Global strategy for asthma management and prevention, 2017. Available at: http://ginasthma.org. Accessed August 17, 2017.
- SK Medrek et al. Fungal sensitization is associated with increased risk of life-threatening asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2017; 5:1025.
- KF Chung et al. International ERS/ATS guidelines on definition, evaluation, and treatment of severe asthma. Eur Respir J 2014; 43:343.
- MA Calderón et al. Allergen-specific immunotherapy for respiratory allergies: from meta-analysis to registration and beyond. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:30.
- GJ Rodrigo et al. Efficacy and safety of subcutaneous omalizumab vs placebo as add-on therapy to corticosteroids for children and adults with asthma: a systematic review. Chest 2011; 139:28.
- NA Hanania et al. Omalizumab in severe allergic asthma inadequately controlled with standard therapy: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2011; 154:573.
- BE Chipps et al. Omalizumab in children with uncontrolled allergic asthma: review of clinical trial and real-world experience. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2017; 139:1431.
- L Cox et al. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology/American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Omalizumab-Associated Anaphylaxis Joint Task Force follow-up report. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:210.
- Mepolizumab (Nucala) for severe eosinophilic asthma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:11.
- Reslizumab (Cinqair) for severe eosinophilic asthma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:81.
- HG Ortega et al. Mepolizumab treatment in patients with severe eosinophilic asthma. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:1198.
- HG Ortega et al. Severe eosinophilic asthma treated with mepolizumab stratified by baseline eosinophilic thresholds: a secondary analysis of the DREAM and MENSA studies. Lancet Respir Med 2016; 4:549.
- EH Bel et al. Oral glucocorticoid-sparing effect of mepolizumab in eosinophilic asthma. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:1189.
- M Castro et al. Reslizumab for inadequately controlled asthma with elevated blood eosinophil counts: results from two multicentre, parallel, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trials. Lancet Respir Med 2015; 3:355.
- ER Bleecker et al. Efficacy and safety of benralizumab for patients with severe asthma uncontrolled with high-dosage inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting β2-agonists (SIROCCO): a randomised, multicentre, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet 2016; 388:2115.
- JM FitzGerald et al. Benralizumab, an anti-interleukin-5 receptor α monoclonal antibody, as add-on treatment for patients with severe, uncontrolled, eosinophilic asthma (CALIMA): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet 2016; 388:2128.
- P Nair et al. Oral glucocorticoid-sparing effect of benralizumab in severe asthma. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:2448.
- M Pretolani et al. Effectiveness of bronchial thermoplasty in patients with severe refractory asthma: clinical and histopathologic correlations. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2017; 139:1176.
- A Trivedi et al. Bronchial thermoplasty and biological therapy as targeted treatments for severe uncontrolled asthma. Lancet Respir Med 2016; 4:585.
- PG Gibson et al. Effect of azithromycin on asthma exacerbations and quality of life in adults with persistent uncontrolled asthma (AMAZES): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2017 July 4 (epub).
- V Bougault et al. Airway hyperresponsiveness in elite swimmers: is it a transient phenomenon? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:892.
- JA Namazy and M Schatz. Pharmacological difficulties in the treatment of asthma in pregnant women. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 2017; 10:285.
- NA Hodyl et al. Fetal glucocorticoid-regulated pathways are not affected by inhaled corticosteroid use for asthma during pregnancy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:716.
- B Cossette et al. Relative perinatal safety of salmeterol vs formoterol and fluticasone vs budesonide use during pregnancy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2014; 112:459.
- RA Charlton et al. Safety of fluticasone propionate prescribed for asthma during pregnancy: a UK population-based cohort study. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2015; 3:772.
- L Blais et al. High doses of inhaled corticosteroids during the first trimester of pregnancy and congenital malformations. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:1229.
- LN Bakhireva et al. Safety of leukotriene receptor antagonists in pregnancy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 119:618.
- B Cossette et al. Impact of maternal use of asthma-controller therapy on perinatal outcomes. Thorax 2013; 68:724.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA review fi nds no significant increase in risk of serious asthma outcomes with long-acting beta agonists (LABAs) used in combination with inhaled corticosteroids (ICS). December 20, 2017. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed March 20, 2018.
- Benralizumab (Fasenra) for severe eosinophilic asthma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:33.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.