The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Edaravone (Radicava) for ALS
November 6, 2017 (Issue: 1533)The FDA has approved edaravone (Radicava – Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma) for treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). It is the second drug to be approved in the US for this indication; riluzole (Rilutek, and generics) was approved in...more
- D Petrov et al. ALS clinical trials review: 20 years of failure. Are we any closer to registering a new treatment? Front Aging Neurosci 2017 March 22 (epub).
- Riluzole for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 1995; 37:113.
- RH Brown and A Al-Chalabi. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:162.
- RG Miller et al. Riluzole for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/motor neuron disease (MND). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 3:CD001447.
- M Nagase et al. Increased oxidative stress in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and the effect of edaravone administration. Redox Rep 2016; 21:104.
- K Abe et al. Confirmatory double-blind, parallel-group, placebo-controlled study of efficacy and safety of edaravone (MCI-186) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener 2014; 15:610.
- Edaravone (MCI-186) ALS 16 Study Group. A post-hoc subgroup analysis of outcomes in the first phase III clinical study of edaravone (MCI-186) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener 2017; 18 Suppl 1:11.
- Writing Group and Edaravone (MCI-186) ALS 19 Study Group. Safety and efficacy of edaravone in well defined patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2017; 16:505.
- Writing Group and Edaravone (MCI-186) ALS 19 Study Group. Open-label 24-week extension study of edaravone (MCI-186) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener 2017; 18 Suppl 1:55.
- Approximate WAC. WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer's published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. October 5, 2017. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2017. www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.