The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
July 2, 2018
Drugs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
July 2, 2018 (Issue: 1550)Management of both ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease (CD) is based on disease severity. Disease location (proctitis, left-sided colitis, or extensive colitis) also plays a role in drug selection. Some drugs for induction and maintenance...more
- B Bressler et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the medical management of nonhospitalized ulcerative colitis: the Toronto consensus. Gastroenterol 2015; 148:1035.
- A Kornbluth et al. Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults: American College of Gastroenterology, Practice Parameters Committee. Am J Gastroenterol 2010; 105:501.
- GR Lichtenstein et al. ACG clinical guideline: management of Crohn's disease in adults. Am J Gastroenterol 2018; 113:481.
- AC Ford et al. Efficacy of 5-aminosalicylates in ulcerative colitis: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:601.
- GT Ho et al. The efficacy of corticosteroid therapy in inflammatory bowel disease: analysis of a 5-year UK inception cohort. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 24:319.
- Budesonide (Uceris) for ulcerative colitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:23.
- Budesonide rectal foam (Uceris) for ulcerative colitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:154.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017 Sept 18 (epub). Available at: www.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed June 22, 2018.
- A Timmer et al. Azathioprine and 6-mercaptopurine for maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 9:CD000478.
- E Prefontaine et al. Azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine for maintenance of remission in Crohn's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 1:CD000067.
- JF Colombel et al. Infliximab, azathioprine, or combination therapy for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:1383.
- R Panaccione et al. Combination therapy with infliximab and azathioprine is superior to monotherapy with either agent in ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:392.
- AM Abbas et al. Risk of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer in ulcerative colitis patients treated with thiopurines: a nationwide retrospective cohort. Am J Gastroenterol 2014; 109:1781.
- M Lemaitre et al. Association between use of thiopurines or tumor necrosis factor antagonists alone or in combination and risk of lymphoma in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. JAMA 2017; 318:1679.
- A Vasudevan et al. Low-dose thiopurine with allopurinol co-therapy overcomes thiopurine intolerance and allows thiopurine continuation in inflammatory bowel disease. Dig Liv Dis 2018 Feb 10 (epub).
- JW McDonald et al. Methotrexate for induction of remission in refractory Crohn's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 8:CD003459.
- BG Feagan et al. Methotrexate in combination with infliximab is no more effective than infliximab alone in patients with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:681.
- I Ordás et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of cyclosporine in a cohort of steroid-refractory acute severe ulcerative colitis patients from the ENEIDA Registry (1989-2013): a nationwide multicenter study. Am J Gastroenterol 2017; 112:1709.
- Golimumab (Simponi) for ulcerative colitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:25.
- TNF inhibitors for Crohn's disease: when, which, and for how long. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:102.
- Inflectra – an infliximab biosimilar. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:23.
- JD Feuerstein et al. American Gastroenterological Association Institute guideline on therapeutic drug monitoring in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterol 2017; 153:827.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Subcutaneous golimumab induces clinical response and remission in patients with moderate-to-severe ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:85.
- S Danese et al. Biological agents for moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2014; 160:704.
- M Regueiro et al. Postoperative therapy with infliximab prevents long-term Crohn's disease recurrence. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014; 12:1494.
- JF Colombel et al. Adalimumab for maintenance of clinical response and remission in patients with Crohn's disease: the CHARM trial. Gastroenterology 2007; 132:52.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Adalimumab induction therapy for Crohn disease previously treated with infliximab: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146:829.
- S Schreiber et al. Maintenance therapy with certolizumab pegol for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:239.
- R Panaccione et al. Clinical benefit of long-term adalimumab treatment in patients with Crohn's disease following loss of response or intolerance to infliximab: 96-week efficacy data from GAIN/ADHERE trials. J Crohns Colitis 2018 April 25 (epub).
- WJ Sandborn et al. Certolizumab pegol in patients with moderate to severe Crohn's disease and secondary failure to infliximab. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010; 8:688.
- G Van Assche et al. Switch to adalimumab in patients with Crohn's disease controlled by maintenance infliximab: prospective randomised SWITCH trial. Gut 2012; 61:229.
- X Mariette et al. Malignancies associated with tumour necrosis factor inhibitors in registries and prospective observational studies: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Rheum Dis 2011; 70:1895.
- N Nyboe Andersen et al. Association between tumor necrosis factor-α antagonists and risk of cancer in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. JAMA 2014; 311:2406.
- GR Lichtenstein et al. Infliximab for Crohn's disease: more than 13 years of real-world experience. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2018; 24:490.
- G D'Haens et al. Lymphoma risk and overall safety profile of adalimumab in patients with Crohn's disease with up to 6 years of follow-up in the Pyramid Registry. Am J Gastroenterol 2018 June 5 (epub).
- Ustekinumab (Stelara) for Crohn's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:5.
- B Feagan et al. Ustekinumab as induction and maintenance therapy for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:1946.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Reduced rates of Crohn's-related surgeries, hospitalizations and alternate biologic initiation with uskekinumab in the IM-UNITI study through 2 years. Gastroenterology 2018; 154:S377. Abstract Sa1743.
- Vedolizumab (Entyvio) for inflammatory bowel disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:86.
- Natalizumab (Tysabri) for Crohn's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:34.
- WJ Sandborn et al. Vedolizumab as induction and maintenance therapy for Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:711.
- BG Feagan et al. Vedolizumab as induction and maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:699.
- S Schreiber et al. Systematic review with meta-analysis: real-world effectiveness and safety of vedolizumab in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. J Gastroenterol 2018 June 4 (epub).
- D Gevers et al. The treatment-naive microbiome in new-onset Crohn's disease. Cell Host Microbe 2014; 15:382.
- HH Herfarth et al. Ciprofloxacin for the prevention of postoperative recurrence in patients with Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1073.
- M Mañosa et al. Addition of metronidazole to azathioprine for the prevention of postoperative recurrence of Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2013; 19:1889.
- RL Dalal et al. Management of pouchitis and other common complications of the pouch. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2018; 24:989.
- Y Derwa et al. Systematic review with meta-analysis: the efficacy of probiotics in inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2017; 46:389.
- S Singh et al. Treatment and prevention of pouchitis after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis for chronic ulcerative colitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 11:CD001176.
- In brief: Risk of pulmonary thromboembolism and death with tofacitinib (Xeljanz). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:136.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.