The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Influenza Vaccine for 2018-2019
October 22, 2018 (Issue: 1558)
- LA Grohskopf et al. Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2018-19 influenza season. MMWR Recomm Rep 2018; 67:1.
- W Schaffner et al. Seasonal influenza immunisation: strategies for older adults. Int J Clin Pract 2018; 72:e13249.
- R Ray et al. A review of the value of quadrivalent influenza vaccines and their potential contribution to influenza control. Hum Vaccin Immunother 2017; 13:1640.
- WEP Beyer et al. Rationale for two influenza B lineages in seasonal vaccines: a meta-regression study on immunogenicity and controlled field trials. Vaccine 2017; 35:4167.
- C Arriola et al. Influenza vaccination modifies disease severity among community-dwelling adults hospitalized with influenza. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 65:1289.
- EA Belongia et al. Variable influenza vaccine effectiveness by subtype: a systematic review and meta-analysis of test-negative design studies. Lancet Infect Dis 2016; 16:942.
- M Darvishian et al. Effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccine in community-dwelling elderly people: a meta-analysis of test-negative design case-control studies. Lancet Infect Dis 2014; 14:1228.
- B Flannery et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness against pediatric deaths: 2010-2014. Pediatrics 2017; 139:e20164244.
- AM Fry et al. Modeling the effect of different vaccine effectiveness estimates on the number of vaccine-prevented influenza-associated hospitalizations in older adults. Clin Infect Dis 2014; 59:406.
- B Flannery et al. Interim estimates of 2017-18 seasonal influenza vaccine effectiveness – United States, February 2018. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2018; 67:180.
- JR Chung et al. Seasonal effectiveness of live attenuated and inactivated influenza vaccine. Pediatrics 2016; 137:e20153279.
- ML Jackson et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in the United States during the 2015-2016 season. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:534.
- SA Buchan et al. Effectiveness of live attenuated vs inactivated influenza vaccines in children during the 2012-2013 through 2015-2016 influenza seasons in Alberta, Canada: a Canadian Immunization Research Network (CIRN) study. JAMA Pediatr 2018; 172:e181514.
- LA Grohskopf et al. Update: ACIP recommendations for the use of quadrivalent live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV4) – United States, 2018-19 influenza season. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2018; 67:643.
- Committee on Infectious Diseases. Recommendations for prevention and control of influenza in children, 2018-2019. Pediatrics 2018; 142:e20182367.
- Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines. AAFP recommendations for the 2018-2019 influenza season. Available at: www.aafp.org. Accessed October 11, 2018.
- B Young et al. Do antibody responses to the influenza vaccine persist year-round in the elderly? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine 2017; 35:212.
- JY Song et al. Long-term immunogenicity of influenza vaccine among the elderly: risk factors for poor immune response and persistence. Vaccine 2010; 28:3929.
- R Baxter et al. Evaluation of the safety, reactogenicity and immunogenicity of FluBlok trivalent recombinant baculovirus-expressed hemagglutinin influenza vaccine administered intramuscularly to healthy adults 50-64 years of age. Vaccine 2011; 29:2272.
- LM Dunkle et al. Efficacy of recombinant influenza vaccine in adults 50 years of age or older. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:2427.
- CA DiazGranados et al. Efficacy of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccine in older adults. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:635.
- S Gravenstein et al. Comparative effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccination on numbers of US nursing home residents admitted to hospital: a cluster-randomised trial. Lancet Respir Med 2017; 5:738.
- DK Shay et al. Comparative effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccines among US Medicare beneficiaries in preventing postinfluenza deaths during 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. J Infect Dis 2017; 215:510.
- JKH Lee et al. Efficacy and effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccination for older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Expert Rev Vaccines 2018; 17:435.
- Y Natori et al. A double-blind, randomized trial of high-dose vs standard-dose influenza vaccine in adult solid-organ transplant recipients. Clin Infect Dis 2018; 66:1698.
- Fluad – an adjuvanted seasonal influenza vaccine for older adults. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:8.
- SE Frey et al. Comparison of the safety and immunogenicity of an MF59-adjuvanted with a non-adjuvanted seasonal influenza vaccine in elderly subjects. Vaccine 2014; 32:5027.
- PG Van Buynder et al. The comparative effectiveness of adjuvanted and unadjuvanted trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV) in the elderly. Vaccine 2013; 31:6122.
- S Mannino et al. Effectiveness of adjuvanted influenza vaccination in elderly subjects in northern Italy. Am J Epidemiol 2012; 176:527.
- JA Udell et al. Association between influenza vaccination and cardiovascular outcomes in high-risk patients: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2013; 310:1711.
- C Clar et al. Influenza vaccines for preventing cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 5:CD005050.
- MG Thompson et al. Effectiveness of seasonal trivalent influenza vaccine for preventing influenza virus illness among pregnant women: a population-based case-control study during the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 influenza seasons. Clin Infect Dis 2014; 58:449.
- MG Thompson et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in preventing influenza-associated hospitalizations during pregnancy: a multi-country retrospective test negative design study, 2010-2016. Clin Infect Dis 2018 October 11 (epub).
- SA Madhi et al. Influenza vaccination of pregnant women and protection of their infants. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:918.
- JG Donahue et al. Association of spontaneous abortion with receipt of inactivated influenza vaccine containing H1N1pdm09 in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Vaccine 2017; 35:5314.
- CDC. Flu vaccination & possible safety signal: information & guidance for health care providers. Available at: www.cdc.gov. Accessed October 11, 2018.
- Committee Opinion No. 732: influenza vaccination during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2018; 131:e109.
- JC Kwong et al. Risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome after seasonal influenza vaccination and influenza health-care encounters: a self-controlled study. Lancet Infect Dis 2013; 13:769.
- LL Polakowski et al. Chart-confirmed Guillain-Barré syndrome after 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccination among the Medicare population, 2009-2010. Am J Epidemiol 2013; 178:962.
- M Greenhawt et al. Administration of influenza vaccines to egg allergic recipients: a practice parameter update 2017. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2018; 120:49.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.