The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Gout
March 11, 2019 (Issue: 1567)Drugs for gout reduce the pain and inflammation of acute flares and lower serum urate levels in order to prevent recurrent flares, development of tophi, and joint damage.
- D Khanna et al. 2012 American College of Rheumatology guidelines for management of gout. Part 1: systematic nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapeutic approaches to hyperuricemia. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2012; 64:1431.
- D Khanna et al. 2012 American College of Rheumatology guidelines for management of gout. Part 2: therapy and antiinflammatory prophylaxis of acute gouty arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2012; 64:1447.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017 September 18 (epub). Available at: www. medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- CA Billy et al. Corticosteroid or nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs for the treatment of acute gout: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Rheumatol 2018; 45:128.
- MD Wechalekar et al. Intra-articular glucocorticoids for acute gout. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; 4:CD009920.
- G Bandoli et al. A review of systemic corticosteroid use in pregnancy and the risk of select pregnancy and birth outcomes. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2017; 43:489.
- Canakinumab (Ilaris) for systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:65.
- N Schlesinger et al. Canakinumab for acute gouty arthritis in patients with limited treatment options: results from two randomised, multicentre, active-controlled, double-blind trials and their initial extensions. Ann Rheum Dis 2012; 71:1839.
- P Ghosh et al. Treatment of acute gouty arthritis in complex hospitalized patients with anakinra. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2013; 65:1381.
- TJ Major et al. Evaluation of the diet wide contribution to serum urate levels: meta-analysis of population based cohorts. BMJ 2018; 363:k3951.
- SM Nielsen et al. Weight loss for overweight and obese individuals with gout: a systematic review of longitudinal studies. Ann Rheum Dis 2017; 76:1870.
- T Neogi et al. Alcohol quantity and type on risk of recurrent gout attacks: an internet-based case-crossover study. Am J Med 2014; 127:311.
- AB Vargas-Santos et al. Association of chronic kidney disease with allopurinol use in gout treatment. JAMA Intern Med 2018; 178:1526.
- Febuxostat (Uloric) for chronic treatment of gout. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:37.
- MA Becker et al. The urate-lowering efficacy and safety of febuxostat in the treatment of the hyperuricemia of gout: the CONFIRMS trial. Arthritis Res Ther 2010; 12:R63.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA adds boxed warning for increased risk of death with gout medicine Uloric (febuxostat). Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed February 27, 2019.
- N Dalbeth et al. Lesinurad, a selective uric acid reabsorption inhibitor, in combination with febuxostat in patients with tophaceous gout: findings of a phase III clinical trial. Arthritis Rheumatol 2017; 69:1903.
- H Yu et al. Safety and efficacy of benzbromarone and febuxostat in hyperuricemia patients with chronic kidney disease: a prospective pilot study. Clin Exp Nephrol 2018 May 14 (epub).
- KG Saag et al. Efficacy and safety of febuxostat extended and immediate release in patients with gout and renal impairment: a phase III placebo-controlled study. Arthritis Rheumatol 2019; 71:143.
- WB White et al. Cardiovascular safety of febuxostat or allopurinol in patients with gout. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:1200.
- ME Kleber et al. Uric acid and cardiovascular events; a Mendelian randomization study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2015; 26:2831.
- HW Park et al. Efficacy of the HLA-B*58:01 screening test in preventing allopurinol-induced severe cutaneous adverse reactions in patients with chronic renal insufficiency-A prospective study. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018 Dec 21 (epub).
- I Kamilli and U Gresser. Allopurinol and oxypurinol in human breast milk. Clin Investig 1993; 71:161.
- JY Wu et al. Efficacy and safety of lesinurad in patients with hyperuricemia associated with gout: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Pharmacotherapy 2018; 38:1106.
- KF Ilett et al. Transfer of probenecid and cephalexin into breast milk. Ann Pharmacother 2006; 40:986.
- Pegloticase (Krystexxa) for treatment of refractory gout. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:9.
- JS Sundy et al. Efficacy and tolerability of pegloticase for the treatment of chronic gout in patients refractory to conventional treatment: two randomized controlled trials. JAMA 2011; 306:711.
- HS Baraf et al. Infusion-related reactions with pegloticase, a recombinant uricase for the treatment of chronic gout refractory to conventional therapy. J Clin Rheumatol 2014; 20:427.
- LH Calabrese et al. Frequency, distribution and immunologic nature of infusion reactions in subjects receiving pegloticase for chronic refractory gout. Arthritis Res Ther 2017; 19:191.
- S Takahashi et al. Effects of combination treatment using anti-hyperuricaemic agents with fenofibrate and/or losartan on uric acid metabolism. Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62:572.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.