The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Chronic Heart Failure
April 8, 2019 (Issue: 1569)
- P Rossignol et al. Heart failure drug treatment. Lancet 2019; 393:1034.
- CW Yancy et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation 2013; 128:e240.
- CW Yancy et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/HFSA focused update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. Circulation 2017; 136:e137.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; September 18 (epub). Available at: www.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- Drug Interactions from The Medical Letter. Available at: www. medicalletter.org/subDIO.
- H Svanström et al. Association of treatment with losartan vs candesartan and mortality among patients with heart failure. JAMA 2012; 307:1506.
- MA Konstam et al. Effects of high-dose versus low-dose losartan on clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure (HEAAL study): a randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet 2009; 374:1840.
- FDA. Drug development and drug interactions: table of substrates, inhibitors and inducers. Available at www.fda.gov. Accessed March 27, 2019.
- Sacubitril/valsartan (Entresto) for heart failure. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:107.
- JJ McMurray et al. Angiotensin-neprilysin versus enalapril in heart failure. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:993.
- O Vardeny et al. Combined neprilysin and renin-angiotensin system inhibition for the treatment of heart failure. JACC Heart Fail 2014; 2:663.
- F Zannad et al. Eplerenone in patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:11.
- B Pitt et al. The effect of spironolactone on morbidity and mortality in patients with severe heart failure. Randomized Aldactone Evaluation Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:709.
- AL Taylor et al. Combination of isosorbide dinitrate and hydralazine in blacks with heart failure. New Engl J Med 2004; 351:2049.
- K Swedberg et al. Ivabradine and outcomes in chronic heart failure (SHIFT): a randomised placebo-controlled study. Lancet 2010; 376:875.
- Ivabradine (Corlanor) for heart failure. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:75.
- MY Yacoob et al. The risk of congenital malformations associated with exposure to β-blockers early in pregnancy: a meta-analysis. Hypertension 2013; 62:375.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.