The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
November 18, 2019
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
November 18, 2019 (Issue: 1585)Turmeric is a spice derived from the Curcuma longa plant. Dietary supplements and foods containing turmeric are widely promoted for relief of pain and to improve joint mobility, immunity, digestion, cardiovascular health, depression, anxiety,...more
- USP verified products listing. Available at: www.quality-supplements.org. Accessed November 7, 2019.
- JW Daily et al. Efficacy of turmeric extracts and curcumin for alleviating the symptoms of joint arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Med Food 2016; 19:717.
- S Qin et al. Efficacy and safety of turmeric and curcumin in lowering blood lipid levels in patients with cardiovascular risk factors: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Nutr J 2017; 16:68.
- L Fusar-Poli et al. Curcumin for depression: a meta-analysis. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr August 19, 2019 (epub).
- A Lang et al. Curcumin in combination with mesalamine induces remission in patients with mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis in a randomized controlled trial. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015; 13:1444.
- G Bommelaer et al. Oral curcumin no more effective than placebo in preventing recurrence of Crohn’s Disease after surgery in a randomized controlled trial. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019 Aug 27 (epub).
- G Mazzanti and S Di Giacomo. Curcumin and resveratrol in the management of cognitive disorders: what is the clinical evidence? Molecules 2016; 21:Ei1243.
- D Perrone et al. Biologic and therapeutic activities, and anticancer properties of curcumin. Exp Ther Med 2015; 10: 1615.
- TJ Smith and BH Ashar. Iron deficiency anemia due to high-dose turmeric. Cureus 2019; 11:e3858.
- DC Kim et al. Anticoagulant activities of curcumin and its derivative. BMB Rep 2012; 45:221.
- P Prakash et al. Anti-platelet effects of curcuma oil in experimental models of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion and thrombosis. Thromb Res 2011; 127:111.
- RP Luber et al. Turmeric induced liver injury: a report of two cases. Case Reports Hepatol 2019; 2019:6741213.
- SW Lee et al. Transient complete atrioventricular block associated with curcumin intake. Int J Cardiol 2011; 150:e50.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; March 12 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- R Bahramsoltani et al. Pharmacokinetic interactions of curcuminoids with conventional drugs: a review. J Ethnopharmacol 2017; 209:1.
- A Daveluy et al. Probable interaction between an oral vitamin K antagonist and turmeric (Curcuma longa). Therapie 2014; 69:519.
- MB Skiba et al. Curcumoid content and safety-related markers of quality of turmeric dietary supplements sold in an urban retail marketplace in the Unites States. Mol Nutr Food Res 2018 May 29:e1800143 (epub).
- FDA. CFR – Code of federal regulations title 21. Available at: http://bit.ly/32oYagr. Accessed November 7, 2019.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.