The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Treatment of Onychomycosis
October 18, 2021 (Issue: 1635)Onychomycosis is caused most commonly by Trichophyton rubrum or T. mentagrophytes. About 10% of all persons worldwide and 40% of those ≥60 years old are believed to have the disease. Risk factors include older age, diabetes, poor...more
- AK Gupta et al. The prevalence of unsuspected onychomycosis and its causative organisms in a multicentre Canadian sample of 30 000 patients visiting physicians' offices. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2016; 30:1567.
- J Thomas et al. Toenail onychomycosis: an important global disease burden. J Clin Pharm Ther 2010; 35:497.
- E Haneke and D Roseeuw. The scope of onychomycosis: epidemiology and clinical features. Int J Dermatol 1999; 38(Suppl 2):7.
- KMG Klaassen et al. The prevalence of onychomycosis in psoriatic patients: a systematic review. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2014; 28:533.
- M Ameen et al. British Association of Dermatologists' guidelines for the management of onychomycosis 2014. Br J Dermatol 2014; 171:937.
- AK Gupta et al. Onychomycosis: a review. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2020; 34:1972.
- SR Lipner and RK Scher. Onychomycosis: treatment and prevention of recurrence. J Am Acad Dermatol 2019; 80:853.
- A Mikailov et al. Cost-effectiveness of confirmatory testing before treatment of onychomycosis. JAMA Dermatol 2016; 152:276.
- AK Gupta et al. Confirmatory testing prior to initiating onychomycosis therapy is cost-effective. J Cutan Med Surg 2018; 22:129.
- Efinaconazole topical solution (Jublia) for onychomycosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:88.
- Tavaborole topical solution (Kerydin) for onychomycosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:35.
- BE Elewski et al. Efinaconazole 10% solution in the treatment of toenail onychomycosis: two phase III multicenter, randomized, double-blind studies. J Am Acad Dermatol 2013; 68:600.
- BE Elewski et al. Efficacy and safety of tavaborole topical solution, 5%, a novel boron-based antifungal agent, for the treatment of toenail onychomycosis: results from 2 randomized phase-III studies. J Am Acad Dermatol 2015; 73:62.
- AK Gupta et al. Ciclopirox nail lacquer topical solution 8% in the treatment of toenail onychomycosis. J Am Acad Dermatol 2000; 43(4 Suppl):S70.
- K Foley et al. Topical and device-based treatments for fungal infections of the toenails. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2020; 1:CD012093.
- Antifungal drugs. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2012; 10:61.
- S Kreijkamp-Kaspers et al. Oral antifungal medication for toenail onychomycosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 7:CD010031.
- AK Gupta et al. Single-blind, randomized, prospective study on terbinafine and itraconazole for treatment of dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis in the elderly. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001; 44:479.
- AK Gupta et al. Evidence-based optimal fluconazole dosing regimen for onychomycosis treatment. J Dermatolog Treat 2013; 24:75.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020 September 10 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- AK Gupta et al. The efficacy and safety of pulse vs. continuous therapy for dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2020; 34:580.
- J Faergemann et al. Double-blind, parallel-group comparison of terbinafine and griseofulvin in the treatment of toenail onychomycosis. J Am Acad Dermatol 1995; 32:750.
- HC Korting et al. Treatment of tinea unguium with medium and high doses of ultramicrosize griseofulvin compared with that with itraconazole. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1993; 37:2064.
- D Watanabe et al. Successful treatment of toenail onychomycosis with photodynamic therapy. Arch Dermatol 2008; 144:19.
- LWF Souza et al. Distal and lateral toenail onychomycosis caused by Trichophyton rubrum: treatment with photodynamic therapy based on methylene blue dye. An Bras Dermatol 2014; 89:184.
- ST Hollmig et al. Lack of efficacy with 1064-nm neodymium: yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser for the treatment of onychomycosis: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014; 70:911.
- S Karsai et al. Treating onychomycosis with the short-pulsed 1064-nm-Nd:YAG laser: results of a prospective randomized controlled trial. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2017; 31:175.
- AK Gupta et al. Efficacy of lasers for the management of dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2021 July 6 (epub).
- Laser treatment of onychomycosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:15.
- AK Gupta et al. Therapies for the treatment of onychomycosis. Clin Dermatol 2013; 31:544.
- K Barber et al. Review of treatment for onychomycosis: consideration for special populations. J Cutan Med Surg 2006; 10(Suppl 2):S48.
- AK Gupta et al. Onychomycosis: strategies to minimize recurrence. J Drugs Dermatol 2016; 15:279.
- M Sakamoto et al. Transungual delivery of efinaconazole: its deposition in the nail of onychomycosis patients and in vitro fungicidal activity in human nails. J Drugs Dermatol 2014; 13:1388.
- RL Woosley et al. QT drugs list. Available at: www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed September 30, 2021.
- MP Solís-Arias et al. Onychomycosis in children: a review. Int J Dermatol 2017; 56:123.
- AK Gupta and M Paquet. Systemic antifungals to treat onychomycosis in children: a systematic review. Pediatr Dermatol 2013; 30:294.
- SF Friedlander et al. Onychomycosis does not always require systemic treatment for cure: a trial using topical therapy. Pediatr Dermatol 2013; 30:316.
- DC Butler et al. Safety of dermatologic medications in pregnancy and lactation. Part II Lactation. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014; 70:417.e1.
- YC Kaplan et al. Fluconazole use during breastfeeding. Can Fam Phys 2015; 61:875.
- Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Itraconazole. [Updated 2020 July 20]. Available at: https://bit.ly/3AMSv5X. Accessed September 30, 2021.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.