The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
May 2, 2022 (Issue: 1649)About 60% of men ≥60 years old have clinically relevant prostatic enlargement due to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The goals of treatment are to decrease lower urinary tract symptoms and to prevent disease progression and complications...more
- KB Egan. The epidemiology of benign prostatic hyperplasia associated with lower urinary tract symptoms: prevalence and incident rates. Urol Clin North Am 2016; 43:289.
- LB Lerner et al. Management of lower urinary tract symptoms attributed to benign prostatic hyperplasia: AUA guideline part I–initial work-up and medical management. J Urol 2021; 206:806.
- DK Newman et al. An evidence-based strategy for the conservative management of the male patient with incontinence. Curr Opin Urol 2014; 24:553.
- CT Brown et al. Self management for men with lower urinary tract symptoms: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2007; 334:25.
- KL Burgio et al. Effectiveness of combined behavioral and drug therapy for overactive bladder symptoms in men: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med 2020; 180:411.
- JQ Yuan et al. Comparative effectiveness and safety of monodrug therapies for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia: a network meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015; 94:e974.
- DA Schwinn et al. alpha1-adrenoceptor subtype selectivity and lower urinary tract symptoms. Mayo Clin Proc 2004; 79:1423.
- M Gacci et al. Impact of medical treatments for male lower urinary tract symptoms due to benign prostatic hyperplasia on ejaculatory function: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Sex Med 2014; 11:1554.
- IP Chatziralli and TN Sergentanis. Risk factors for intraoperative floppy iris syndrome: a meta-analysis. Ophthalmology 2011; 118:730.
- CM Bell et al. Association between tamsulosin and serious ophthalmic adverse events in older men following cataract surgery. JAMA 2009; 301:1991.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes, P-glycoprotein, and other transporters. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021 October 20 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- JD McConnell et al. The long-term effect of doxazosin, finasteride, and combination therapy on the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:2387.
- CW Fwu et al. Change in sexual function in men with lower urinary tract symptoms/benign prostatic hyperplasia associated with long-term treatment with doxazosin, finasteride and combined therapy. J Urol 2014; 191:1828.
- CG Roehrborn et al. A prospective randomised placebo-controlled study of the impact of dutasteride/tamsulosin combination therapy on sexual function domains in sexually active men with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BJU Int 2018; 121:647.
- L Wang et al. Association of finasteride with prostate cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore) 2020; 99:e19486.
- GL Andriole et al. Effect of dutasteride on the risk of prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:1192.
- B Welk et al. The risk of dementia with the use of 5 alpha reductase inhibitors. J Neurol Sci 2017; 379:109.
- B Welk et al. Association of suicidality and depression with 5α-reductase inhibitors. JAMA Intern Med 2017; 177:683.
- KW Hagberg et al. Risk of incident antidepressant-treated depression associated with use of 5α-reductase inhibitors compared with use of α-Blockers in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia: a population-based study using the Clinical Practice Research Datalink. Pharmacotherapy 2017; 37:517.
- L Wei et al. Incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in men receiving steroid 5α-reductase inhibitors: population based cohort study. BMJ 2019; 365:l1204.
- SS Lee et al. 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors and the risk of diabetes mellitus: a nationwide population-based study. Prostate 2016; 76:41.
- S Albisinni et al. New medical treatments for lower urinary tract symptoms due to benign prostatic hyperplasia and future perspectives. BMC Urol 2016; 16:58.
- S Pattanaik et al. Phosphodiesterase inhibitors for lower urinary tract symptoms consistent with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2018; 11:CD010060.
- A fixed-dose combination of finasteride and tadalafil (Entadfi) for BPH. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2022 (in press).
- A Casabé et al. Efficacy and safety of the coadministration of tadalafil once daily with finasteride for 6 months in men with lower urinary tract symptoms and prostatic enlargement secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia. J Urol 2014; 191:727.
- M Etminan et al. Risk of ocular adverse events associated with use of phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitors in men in the US. JAMA Ophthalmol 2022 April 7 (epub).
- P Van Kerrebroeck et al. Efficacy and safety of solifenacin plus tamsulosin OCAS in men with voiding and storage lower urinary tract symptoms: results from a phase 2, dose-finding study (SATURN). Eur Urol 2013; 64:398.
- P van Kerrebroeck et al. Combination therapy with solifenacin and tamsulosin oral controlled absorption system in a single tablet for lower urinary tract symptoms in men: efficacy and safety results from the randomised controlled NEPTUNE trial. Eur Urol 2013; 64:1003.
- SA Kaplan et al. Safety and tolerability of solifenacin add-on therapy to alpha-blocker treated men with residual urgency and frequency. J Urol 2009; 182:2825.
- CAC Coupland et al. Anticholinergic drug exposure and the risk of dementia: a nested case-control study. JAMA Intern Med 2019; 179:1084.
- TH Kim et al. Comparison of the efficacy and safety of tolterodine 2 mg and 4 mg combined with an α-blocker in men with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and overactive bladder: a randomized controlled trial. BJU Int 2016; 117:307.
- Mirabegron (Myrbetriq) for overactive bladder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:13.
- Vibegron (Gemtesa) for overactive bladder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:67.
- Y Matsukawa et al. Comparison in the efficacy of fesoterodine or mirabegron add-on therapy to silodosin for patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia complicated by overactive bladder: a randomized, prospective trial using urodynamic studies. Neurourol Urodyn 2019; 38:941.
- VW Nitti et al. Urodynamics and safety of the β3-adrenoceptor agonist mirabegron in males with lower urinary tract symptoms and bladder outlet obstruction. J Urol 2013; 190:1320.
- R MacDonald et al. Serenoa repens monotherapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH): an updated Cochrane systematic review. BJU Int 2012; 109:1756.
- P Toren et al. Effect of dutasteride on clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia in asymptomatic men with enlarged prostate: a post hoc analysis of the REDUCE study. BMJ 2013; 346:f2109.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.