The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Tirzepatide (Mounjaro) for Type 2 Diabetes
July 11, 2022 (Issue: 1654)The FDA has approved tirzepatide (Mounjaro – Lilly), a peptide hormone with activity at both glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptors, to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2...more
- Drugs for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:169.
- Semaglutide (Wegovy) for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:106.
- Liraglutide (Saxenda) for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:89.
- J Rosenstock et al. Efficacy and safety of a novel dual GIP and GLP-1 receptor agonist tirzepatide in patients with type 2 diabetes (SURPASS-1): a double-blind, randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2021; 398:143.
- JP Frias et al. Tirzepatide versus semaglutide once weekly in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2021; 385:503.
- B Ludvik et al. Once-weekly tirzepatide versus once-daily insulin degludec as add-on to metformin with or without SGLT2 inhibitors in patients with type 2 diabetes (SURPASS-3): a randomised, open-label, parallel-group, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2021; 398:583.
- S Del Prato et al. Tirzepatide versus insulin glargine in type 2 diabetes and increased cardiovascular risk (SURPASS-4): a randomised, open-label, parallel-group, multicentre, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2021; 398:1811.
- D Dahl et al. Effect of subcutaneous tirzepatide vs placebo added to titrated insulin glargine on glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes: the SURPASS-5 randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2022; 327:534.
- N Sattar et al. Tirzepatide cardiovascular event risk assessment: a pre-specified meta-analysis. Nat Med 2022; 28:591.
- AM Jastreboff et al. Tirzepatide once weekly for the treatment of obesity. N Engl J Med June 4, 2022 (epub).
- Approximate WAC. WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer’s published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. June 5, 2022. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2022. www.fdbhealth.com/drug-pricing-policy.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.