The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
October 27, 2014 (Issue: 1454)Antiplatelet drugs are the drugs of choice for prevention and treatment of arterial thrombosis. Anticoagulants are the drugs of choice for prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism and for prevention of cardioembolic events in patients...more
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Aspirin for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150:396.
- Antithrombotic Trialists' (ATT) Collaboration. Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials. Lancet 2009; 373:1849.
- PJ Devereaux et al. Aspirin in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1494.
a. ESPIRIT Study Group et al. Aspirin plus dipyridamole versus aspirin alone after cerebral ischaemia of arterial origin (ESPRIT): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2006; 367:1665.
b. RL Sacco et al. Aspirin and extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel for recurrent stroke. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:1238.
c. WN Kernan et al. Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/ American Stroke Association. Stroke 2014; 45:2160.
- DM Roden and AR Shuldiner. Responding to the clopidogrel warning by the US Food and Drug Administration: real life is complicated. Circulation 2010; 122:445.
- Drugs for peptic ulcer disease and GERD. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2014; 12:25.
- Prasugrel (Effient) vs. clopidogrel (Plavix). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:69.
- MT Roe et al. Prasugrel versus clopidogrel for acute coronary syndromes without revascularization. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:1297.
- Ticagrelor (Brilinta) – better than clopidogrel (Plavix)? Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:69.
- L Wallentin et al. Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:1045.
- KW Mahaffey et al. Ticagrelor compared with clopidogrel by geographic region in the Platelet Inhibition and Patient Outcomes (PLATO) trial. Circulation 2011; 124:544.
- Vorapaxar (Zontivity) for prevention of thrombotic cardiovascular events. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:85.
- DA Morrow et al. Vorapaxar in the secondary prevention of atherothrombotic events. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1404.
- P Tricoci et al. Thrombin-receptor antagonist vorapaxar in acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:20.
- DJ Whellan et al. Vorapaxar in acute coronary syndrome patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery: subgroup analysis from the TRACER trial (Thrombin Receptor Antagonist for Clinical Event Reduction in Acute Coronary Syndrome). J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63:1048.
- PROTECT Investigators. Dalteparin versus unfractionated heparin in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1305.
- Y Falck-Ytter et al. Prevention of VTE in orthopedic surgery patients: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2012; 141:e278s.
- TE Warkentin et al. Prevalence and risk of preexisting heparin-induced thrombocytopenia antibodies in patients with acute VTE. Chest 2011; 140:366.
- H Jneid et al. 2012 ACCF/AHA focused update of the guidelines for the management of patients with unstable angina/non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction (updating the 2007 guideline and replacing the 2011 focused update): a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60:645.
- S Yusuf et al. Effects of fondaparinux on mortality and reinfarction in patients with acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: the OASIS-6 randomized trial. JAMA 2006; 295:1519.
- G Patti et al. Comparison of safety and efficacy of bivalirudin versus unfractionated heparin in high-risk patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (from the Anti-Thrombotic Strategy for Reduction of Myocardial Damage During Angioplasty-Bivalirudin vs Heparin study). Am J Cardiol 2012; 110:478.
- MA Cavender and MS Sabatine. Bivalirudin versus heparin in patients planned for percutaneous coronary intervention: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Lancet 2014; 384:599.
- Desirudin (Iprivask) for DVT prevention. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:85.
- Treatment of atrial fibrillation. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2014; 56:53.
- Choice of an oral anticoagulant in atrial fibrillation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:79.
- New oral anticoagulants for acute venous thromboembolism. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:3.
- WI Gonsalves et al. Management of bleeding complications in patients on new oral anticoagulants. J Hematol Transfus 2014; 2:1015.
- Dabigatran etexilate (Pradaxa) — a new oral anticoagulant. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:89.
- S Schulman et al. Dabigatran versus warfarin in the treatment of acute venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:2342.
- S Schulman et al. Extended use of dabigatran, warfarin, or placebo in venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:709.
- FDA drug safety communication: FDA study of Medicare patients finds risks lower for stroke and death but higher for gastrointestinal bleeding with Pradaxa (dabigatran) compared to warfarin. Available at www.fda.gov. Accessed October 16, 2014.
- MR Southworth et al. Dabigatran and postmarketing reports of bleeding. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1272.
- Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) – a new oral anticoagulant. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:65.
- EINSTEIN Investigators. Oral rivaroxaban for symptomatic venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:2499.
- EINSTEIN-PE Investigators. Oral rivaroxaban for the treatment of symptomatic pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1287.
- MR Patel et al. Rivaroxaban versus warfarin in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:883.
- Apixaban (Eliquis) – a new oral anticoagulant for atrial fibrillation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:9.
- SJ Connolly et al. Apixaban in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:806.
- CB Granger et al. Apixaban versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:981.
- MR Lassen et al. Apixaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after knee replacement (ADVANCE-2): a randomised double-blind trial. Lancet 2010; 375:807.
- MR Lassen et al. Apixaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after hip replacement. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:2487.
- G Agnelli et al. Oral apixaban for the treatment of acute venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:799.
- RP Giugliano et al. Edoxaban versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:2093.
- Hokusai-VTE Investigators. Edoxaban versus warfarin for the treatment of symptomatic venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1406.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.