The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Depression
July 4, 2016 (Issue: 1498)
- American Psychiatric Association, 2010. Treating major depressive disorder: a quick reference guide. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with major depressive disorder, third edition. Available at psychiatryonline.org. Accessed June 23, 2016.
- D Warden et al. The STAR*D Project results: a comprehensive review of findings. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2007; 9:449.
- A Cipriani et al. Comparative efficacy and tolerability of antidepressants for major depressive disorder in children and adolescents: a network meta-analysis. Lancet 2016 Jun 7 (epub).
- MD Waldinger. Psychiatric disorders and sexual dysfunction. Handb Clin Neurol 2015; 130:469.
- V Rabenda et al. Risk of nonvertebral fractures among elderly postmenopausal women taking antidepressants. Bone 2012; 51:674.
- Citalopram, escitalopram and the QT interval. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:59.
- O Stephansson et al. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors during pregnancy and risk of stillbirth and infant mortality. JAMA 2013; 309:48.
- A Bérard et al. Paroxetine use during pregnancy and perinatal outcomes including types of cardiac malformations in Quebec and France: a short communication. Curr Drug Saf 2012; 7:207.
- H Malm et al. Pregnancy complications following prenatal exposure to SSRIs or maternal psychiatric disorders: results from population-based national register data. Am J Psychiatry 2015; 172:1224.
- S Gentile. On categorizing gestational, birth, and neonatal complications following late pregnancy exposure to antidepressants: the prenatal antidepressant exposure syndrome. CNS Spectr 2010; 15:167.
- CD Chambers et al. Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and risk of persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:579.
- C Bellantuono et al. The safety of serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) in pregnancy and breastfeeding: a comprehensive review. Hum Psychopharmacol 2015; 30:143.
- VM Pereira et al. Bupropion in the depression-related sexual dysfunction: a systematic review. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 2014; 13:1079.
- NE De Long et al. Is it safe to use smoking cessation therapeutics during pregnancy? Expert Opin Drug Saf 2014; 13:1721.
- U Winterfeld et al. Pregnancy outcome following maternal exposure to mirtazapine: a multicenter, prospective study. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2015; 35:250.
- Extended-release trazodone (Oleptro) for depression. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:91.
- Vilazodone (Viibryd) – a new antidepressant. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:53.
- AH Clayton et al. Sexual dysfunction during treatment of major depressive disorder with vilazodone, citalopram, or placebo: results from a phase IV clinical trial. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2015; 30:216.
- Vortioxetine (Brintellix/Trintellix) for depression. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:93.
- Transdermal selegiline (Emsam). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:41.
- C Caddy et al. Ketamine and other glutamate receptor modulators for depression in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 9:CD011612.
- SE Hetrick et al. Newer generation antidepressants for depressive disorders in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 11:CD004851.
- T Sharma et al. Suicidality and aggression during antidepressant treatment: systematic review and meta-analyses based on clinical study reports. BMJ 2016 Jan 27 (epub).
- J March et al. Fluoxetine, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and their combination for adolescents with depression: Treatment for Adolescents With Depression Study (TADS) randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 292:807.
- RD Gibbons et al. The relationship between antidepressant prescription rates and rate of early adolescent suicide. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163:1898.
- NA Buckley et al. Serotonin syndrome. BMJ 2014 Feb 19 (epub).
- EW Boyer and M Shannon. The serotonin syndrome. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:1112.
- KR Connolly and ME Thase. If at first you don't succeed: a review of the evidence for antidepressant augmentation, combination and switching strategies. Drugs 2011; 71:43.
- MH Trivedi et al. Medication augmentation after the failure of SSRIs for depression. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:1243.
- Adjunctive antipsychotics for major depression. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:74.
- BM Wright et al. Augmentation with atypical antipsychotics for depression: a review of evidence-based support from the medical literature. Pharmacotherapy 2013; 33:344.
- Brexpiprazole (Rexulti) for schizophrenia and depression. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:116.
- R Cooper-Kazaz and B Lerer. Efficacy and safety of triiodothyronine supplementation in patients with major depressive disorder treated with specific serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2008; 11:685.
- JC Nelson et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis of lithium augmentation of tricyclic and second generation antidepressants in major depression. J Affect Disord 2014; 168:269.
- MH Trivedi et al. Clinical results for patients with major depressive disorder in the Texas Medication Algorithm Project. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2004; 61:669.
- PE Holtzheimer and HS Mayberg. Neuromodulation for treatment-resistant depression. F1000 Med Rep 2012; 4:22.
- Health Quality Ontario. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for treatment-resistant depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Ont Health Technol Assess Ser 2016; 16:1.
- IO Bergfeld. Deep brain stimulation of the ventral anterior limb of the internal capsule for treatment-resistant depression: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry 2016; 73:456.
- DD Dougherty. A randomized sham-controlled trial of deep brain stimulation of the ventral capsule/ventral striatum for chronic treatment-resistant depression. Biol Psychiatry 2015; 78:240.
- RL Woosley and KA Romero. QT drugs list. Available at: www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed March 5, 2018.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.