The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
SGLT2 Inhibitors and Renal Function
July 18, 2016 (Issue: 1499)At the same time that the FDA announced it was strengthening existing warnings about the risk of acute kidney injury in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with the sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors canagliflozin (Invokana, and...more
- FDA. FDA Drug Safety Communication (6/14/2016): FDA strengthens kidney warnings for diabetes medicines canagliflozin (Invokana, Invokamet) and dapagliflozin (Farxiga, Xigduo XR). Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed July 7, 2016.
- C Wanner et al. Empagliflozin and progression of kidney disease in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2016 June 14 (epub).
- In brief: Ketoacidosis with SGLT2 inhibitors. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:94.
- AL Peters et al. Euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis: a potential complication of treatment with sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition. Diabetes Care 2015; 38:1687.
- SGLT2 inhibitors: new reports. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:139.
- B Zinman et al. Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:2117.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.