The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
October 24, 2016
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
October 24, 2016 (Issue: 1506)
- NJ Stone et al. 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63:2889.
- AJ Garber et al. Consensus statement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology on the comprehensive type 2 diabetes management algorithm – 2016 executive summary. Endocr Pract 2016; 22:84.
- TA Jacobson et al. National Lipid Association recommendations for patient-centered management of dyslipidemia: part 1—full report. J Clin Lipidol 2015; 9:129.
- Writing Committee et al. 2016 ACC expert consensus decision pathway on the role of non-statin therapies for LDL-cholesterol lowering in the management of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology Task Force on clinical expert consensus documents. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 68:92.
- S Yusuf et al. Cholesterol lowering in intermediate-risk persons without cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 2016; 374:2021.
- CTT Collaboration et al. Efficacy and safety of more intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol: a meta-analysis of data from 170,000 participants in 26 randomised trials. Lancet 2010; 376:1670.
- CP Cannon et al. Ezetimibe added to statin therapy after acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:2387.
- JR Guyton et al. An assessment by the Statin Intolerance Panel: 2014 update. J Clin Lipidol 2014; 8:S72.
- HV Ganga et al. A systematic review of statin-induced muscle problems in clinical trials. Am Heart J 2014; 168:6.
- SEARCH Collaborative Group et al. Intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol with 80 mg versus 20 mg simvastatin daily in 12,064 survivors of myocardial infarction: a double-blind randomised trial. Lancet 2010; 376:1658.
- ES Stroes et al. Statin-associated muscle symptoms: impact on statin therapy—European Atherosclerosis Society Consensus Panel Statement on Assessment, Aetiology and Management. Eur Heart J 2015; 36:1012.
- MJ Tikkanen et al. Effect of intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin on cardiovascular outcomes in coronary heart disease patients with mild-to-moderate baseline elevations in alanine aminotransferase levels. Int J Cardiol 2013; 168:3846.
- N Sattar et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials. Lancet 2010; 375:735.
- D Preiss et al. Risk of incident diabetes with intensive-dose compared with moderate-dose statin therapy: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2011; 305:2556.
- K Axsom et al. Statins and diabetes: the good, the bad, and the unknown. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2013; 15:299.
- JS McKinney and WJ Kostis. Statin therapy and the risk of intracerebral hemorrhage: a meta-analysis of 31 randomized controlled trials. Stroke 2012; 43:2149.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:e44. Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed October 13, 2016.
- R Elsby et al. Solitary inhibition of the breast cancer resistance protein efflux transporter results in a clinically significant drug-drug interaction with rosuvastatin by causing up to a 2-fold increase in statin exposure. Drug Metab Dispos 2016; 44:398.
- MG Silverman et al. Association between lowering LDL-C and cardiovascular risk reduction among different therapeutic interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2016; 316:1289.
- Pitavastatin (Livalo) – the seventh statin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:57.
- CA Dujovne et al. Efficacy and safety of a potent new selective cholesterol absorption inhibitor, ezetimibe, in patients with primary hypercholesterolemia. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90:1092.
- RH Knopp et al. Effects of ezetimibe, a new cholesterol absorption inhibitor, on plasma lipids in patients with primary hypercholesterolemia. Eur Heart J 2003; 24:729.
- Alirocumab (Praluent) to lower LDL-cholesterol. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:113.
- Evolocumab (Repatha) – A second PCSK9 Inhibitor to lower LDL-cholesterol. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:140.
- JG Robinson et al. Efficacy and safety of alirocumab in reducing lipids and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1489.
- MS Sabatine et al. Efficacy and safety of evolocumab in reducing lipids and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1500.
- MS Sabatine et al. Rationale and design of the further cardiovascular outcomes research with PCSK9 Inhibition in subjects with elevated risk trial. Am Heart J 2016; 173:94.
- GG Schwartz et al. Effect of alirocumab, a monoclonal antibody to PCSK9, on long-term cardiovascular outcomes following acute coronary syndromes: rationale and design of the ODYSSEY outcomes trial. Am Heart J 2014; 168:682.
- CP Cannon et al. Relationship between major adverse cardiovascular events and achieved low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in Phase 3 ODYSSEY trials of alirocumab versus control. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 67:1867.
- S Ross et al. Effect of bile acid sequestrants on the risk of cardiovascular events: a Mendelian randomization analysis. Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2015; 8:618.
- Drugs for hypertriglyceridemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:17.
- HB Rubins et al. Gemfibrozil for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in men with low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Veterans Affairs High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Intervention Trial Study Group. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:410.
- ACCORD Study Group et al. Effects of combination lipid therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:1563.
- AB Goldfine et al. Fibrates in the treatment of dyslipidemias – time for a reassessment. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:481.
- FDA. AbbVie Inc. et al; withdrawal of approval of indications related to the coadministration with statins in applications for niacin extended-release tablets and fenofibric acid delayed-release capsules. Federal Register 2016 April 18; 81 FR 22612. Docket No. FDA-2016-N-1127.
- E Bruckert et al. Meta-analysis of the effect of nicotinic acid alone or in combination on cardiovascular events and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2010; 210:353.
- HPS2-THRIVE Collaborative Group et al. Effects of extendedrelease niacin with laropiprant in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:203.
- DM Lloyd-Jones. Niacin and HDL cholesterol--time to face facts. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:271.
- Fish oil supplements. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:83.
- Risk and Prevention Study Collaborative Group. N-3 fatty acids in patients with multiple cardiovascular risk factors. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1800.
- SM Kwak et al. Efficacy of omega-3 fatty acid supplements (eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid) in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:686.
- Icosapent ethyl (Vascepa) for severe hypertriglyceridemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:33.
- DJ Rader and JJ Kastelein. Lomitapide and mipomersen: two first-in-class drugs for reducing low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Circulation 2014; 129:1022.
- Two new drugs for homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:25.
- FJ Raal et al. Inhibition of PCSK9 with evolocumab in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia (TESLA Part B): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2015; 385:341.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.