The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
July 17, 2017
Drugs for Helicobacter pylori Infection
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Helicobacter pylori Infection
July 17, 2017 (Issue: 1525)About 50% of the world’s population is infected with Helicobacter pylori. These gastric bacteria can cause chronic inflammation and have been associated with development of gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, gastric adenocarcinoma, and gastric...more
- EA Marcus et al. Eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2016; 18:33.
- Drugs for peptic ulcer disease and GERD. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2014; 12:25.
- YC Lee et al. Association between Helicobacter pylori eradication and gastric cancer incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gastroenterology 2016; 150:1113.
- CA Fallone et al. The Toronto consensus for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection in adults. Gastroenterology 2016; 151:51.
- WD Chey et al. ACG Clinical Guideline: treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol 2017; 112:212.
- P Malfertheiner et al. Management of Helicobacter pylori infection – the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report. Gut 2017; 66:6.
- MP Dore et al. Dyspepsia: when and how to test for Helicobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2016 April 28 (epub).
- S Shiota et al. Antibiotic resistance of Helicobacter pylori among male United States veterans. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015; 13:1616.
- PY Chen et al. Systematic review with meta-analysis: the efficacy of levofloxacin triple therapy as the first- or second-line treatments of Helicobacter pylori infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2016; 44:427.
- M Venerito et al. Meta-analysis of bismuth quadruple therapy versus clarithromycin triple therapy for empiric primary treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection. Digestion 2013; 88:33.
- JP Gisbert and X Calvet. Update on non-bismuth quadruple (concomitant) therapy for eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Clin Exp Gastroenterol 2012; 5:23.
- J Molina-Infante et al. Optimised empiric triple and concomitant therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication in clinical practice: the OPTRICON study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2015; 41:581.
- JM Liou et al. Concomitant, bismuth quadruple, and 14-day triple therapy in the first-line treatment of Helicobacter pylori: a multicentre, open-label, randomised trial. Lancet 2016; 388:2355.
- PP Basu et al. A randomized study comparing levofloxacin, omeprazole, nitazoxanide, and doxycycline versus triple therapy for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:1970.
- E Coss et al. Sequential therapy is not better at eradication of primary Helicobacter pylori infection when compared to standard triple therapy in the United States–a prospective, randomized evaluation in a United States population. Gastroenterology 2014; 146:S399. Abstract Su1194.
- OP Nyssen et al. Sequential versus standard triple first-line therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 6:CD009034.
- AG McNicholl et al. Randomised clinical trial comparing sequential and concomitant therapies for Helicobacter pylori eradication in routine clinical practice. Gut 2014; 63:244.
- SD Georgopoulos et al. Randomized clinical trial comparing ten day concomitant and sequential therapies for Helicobacter pylori eradication in a high clarithromycin resistance area. Eur J Intern Med 2016; 32:84.
- PB Kale-Pradhan et al. Fluoroquinolone sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori: a meta-analysis. Pharmacotherapy 2015; 35:719.
- B Wang et al. Review: efficacy and safety of hybrid therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Helicobacter 2015; 20:79.
- Probiotics revisited. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:3.
- LV McFarland et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis: multi-strain probiotics as adjunct therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication and prevention of adverse events. United European Gastroenterol J 2016; 4:546.
- MM Zhang et al. Probiotics in Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21:4345.
- Y Yuan et al. Optimum duration of regimens for Helicobacter pylori eradication. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; 12:CD008337.
- AC Marin et al. Efficacy of a second-line levofloxacin-containing triple therapy after the failure of the non-bismuth sequential or concomitant treatments: systematic review and meta-analysis. Helicobacter 2014; 19 (Suppl 1):139, abstract P11.39.
- AC Marin et al. A review of rescue regimens after clarithromycincontaining triple therapy failure (for Helicobacter pylori eradication). Expert Opin Pharmacother 2013; 14:843.
- T Shaikh and CA Fallone. Effectiveness of second through sixth line salvage Helicobacter pylori treatment: bismuth quadruple therapy is almost always a reasonable choice. Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016 March 29 (epub).
- JP Gisbert et al. Fourth-line rescue therapy with rifabutin in patients with three Helicobacter pylori eradication failures. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2012; 35:941.
- J Molina-Infante and A Shiotani. Practical aspects in choosing Helicobacter pylori therapy. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2015; 44:519.
- C Giuliano et al. Are proton pump inhibitors associated with the development of community-acquired pneumonia? A meta-analysis. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 2012; 5:337.
- M Sarkar et al. Proton-pump inhibitor use and the risk for community-acquired pneumonia. Ann Intern Med 2008; 149:391.
- KB Filion et al. Proton pump inhibitors and the risk of hospitalisation for community-acquired pneumonia: replicated cohort studies with meta-analysis. Gut 2014; 63:552.
- AD Leonard et al. Proton pump inhibitors and diarrhoea related to Clostridium difficile infection in hospitalised patients: a case-control study. Intern Med J 2012; 42:591.
- DL McCollum and JM Rodriguez. Detection, treatment, and prevention of Clostridium difficile infection. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012; 10:581.
- CS Kwok et al. Risk of Clostridium difficile infection with acid suppressing drugs and antibiotics: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2012; 107:1011.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and p-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017. May 18 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2017.
- RL Woosley and KA Romero. QT drugs list. Available at: www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed June 29, 2017.
- Drug interaction: clopidogrel and PPIs. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:39.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA review finds additional data supports the potential for increased long-term risks with antibiotic clarithromycin (Biaxin) in patients with heart disease. Available at: www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm597289.htm. Accessed March 7, 2018.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.