The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
July 31, 2017
Drugs for Epilepsy
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Epilepsy
July 31, 2017 (Issue: 1526)Treatment of epilepsy should begin with a single antiepileptic drug (AED), increasing its dosage gradually until seizures are controlled or adverse effects become intolerable. If seizures persist, specialists generally recommend trying at...more
- RS Fisher et al. Instruction manual for the ILAE 2017 operational classification of seizure types. Epilepsia 2017; 58:531.
- Brivaracetam (Briviact) for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:95.
- P Kwan et al. Adjunctive brivaracetam for uncontrolled focal and generalized epilepsies: results of a phase III, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, flexible-dose trial. Epilepsia 2014: 55:38.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and p-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017. May 18 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed July 18, 2017.
- P Chen et al. Carbamazepine-induced toxic effects and HLA-B*1502 screening in Taiwan. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1126.
- Clobazam (Onfi) for Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:18.
- Eslicarbazepine acetate (Aptiom) for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:42.
- MR Sperling et al. Conversion to eslicarbazepine acetate monotherapy: a pooled analysis of 2 phase III studies. Neurology 2016; 86:1095.
- SD Shorvon et al. Eslicarbazepine acetate: its effectiveness as adjunctive therapy in clinical trials and open studies. J Neurol 2017; 264:421.
- EP Vining. Ethosuximide in childhood absence epilepsy–older and better. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:843.
- Once-daily gabapentin (Gralise) for postherpetic neuralgia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:94.
- Gabapentin enacarbil (Horizant) for restless legs syndrome. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:70.
- Lacosamide for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:50.
- E Saetre et al. Antiepileptic drugs and quality of life in the elderly: results from a randomized double-blind trial of carbamazepine and lamotrigine in patients with onset of epilepsy in old age. Epilepsy Behav 2010; 17:395.
- TA Glauser et al. Ethosuximide, valproic acid, and lamotrigine in childhood absence epilepsy: initial monotherapy outcomes at 12 months. Epilepsia 2013; 54:141.
- Spritam – a new formulation of levetiracetam for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:78.
- GL Krauss et al. Randomized phase III study 306: adjunctive perampanel for refractory partial-onset seizures. Neurology 2012; 78:1408.
- JA French et al. Adjunctive perampanel for refractory partial-onset seizures: randomized phase III study 304. Neurology 2012; 79:589.
- JA French et al. Evaluation of adjunctive perampanel in patients with refractory partial-onset seizures: results of randomized global phase III study 305. Epilepsia 2013; 54:117.
- Pregabalin (Lyrica) for neuropathic pain and epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2005; 47:75.
- J French et al. Adjunctive pregabalin vs gabapentin for focal seizures: interpretation of comparative outcomes. Neurology 2016; 87:1242.
- Pregabalin (Lyrica) for fibromyalgia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2007; 49:77.
- Rufinamide (Banzel) for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:18.
- G Kluger et al. Adjunctive rufinamide in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome: a long-term, open-label extension study. Acta Neurol Scand 2010; 122:202.
- V Biton et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of rufinamide as adjunctive therapy for refractory partial-onset seizures. Epilepsia 2011; 52:234.
- In brief: Topiramate extended-release capsules (Qudexy XR). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:e126.
- GD Montouris et al. The efficacy and tolerability of pharmacologic treatment options for Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epilepsia 2014; 55 Suppl 4:10.
- Topiramate extended-release (Trokendi XR) for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:87.
- Topiramate (Topamax) for prevention of migraine. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2005; 47:9.
- Two drugs for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:69.
- SE Mohammadianinejad et al. Zonisamide versus topiramate in migraine prophylaxis: a double-blind randomized clinical trial. Clin Neuropharmacol 2011; 34:174.
- KM Gadde et al. Zonisamide for weight reduction in obese adults: a 1-year randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:1557.
- CM Flowers et al. Seizure activity and off-label use of tiagabine. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:773.
- Vigabatrin (Sabril) for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:14.
- C O’Dell et al. Rectal diazepam gel in the home management of seizures in children. Pediatr Neurol 2005; 33:166.
- O Devinsky et al. Trial of cannabidiol for drug-resistant seizures in the Dravet syndrome. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:2011.
- E Patorno et al. Anticonvulsant medications and the risk of suicide, attempted suicide, or violent death. JAMA 2010; 303:1401.
- A Arana et al. Suicide-related events in patients treated with antiepileptic drugs. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:542.
- DS Reddy. Clinical pharmacokinetic interactions between antiepileptic drugs and hormonal contraceptives. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 2010; 3:183.
- DS Reddy. Do oral contraceptives increase epileptic seizures? Expert Rev of Neurother 2017; 17:129.
- CL Harden et al. Practice parameter update: management issues for women with epilepsy–focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): teratogenesis and perinatal outcomes: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee and Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and American Epilepsy Society. Neurology 2009; 73:133.
- J Jentink et al. Valproic acid monotherapy in pregnancy and major congenital malformations. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:2185.
- KJ Meador et al. Effects of fetal antiepileptic drug exposure: outcomes at age 4.5 years. Neurology 2012; 78:1207.
- J Christensen et al. Prenatal valproate exposure and risk of autism spectrum disorders and childhood autism. JAMA 2013; 309:1696.
- S Hernández-Diaz et al. Comparative safety of antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy. Neurology 2012; 78:1692.
- PB Pennell et al. Lamotrigine in pregnancy: clearance, therapeutic drug monitoring, and seizure frequency. Neurology 2008; 70:2130.
- CL Harden et al. Practice parameter update: management issues for women with epilepsy–focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): vitamin K, folic acid, blood levels, and breastfeeding: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee and Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and American Epilepsy Society. Neurology 2009; 73:142.
- AS Kesselheim et al. Seizure outcomes following the use of generic versus brand-name antiepileptic drugs: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Drugs 2010; 70:605.
- MD Privitera et al. Generic-to-generic lamotrigine switches in people with epilepsy: the randomised controlled EQUIGEN trial. Lancet Neurol 2016; 15:365.
- AS Kesselheim et al. Switching generic antiepileptic drug manufacturer not linked to seizures. Neurology 2016; 87:1796.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.