The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Cannabidiol (Epidiolex) for Epilepsy
November 5, 2018 (Issue: 1559)The FDA has approved cannabidiol oral solution (Epidiolex – Greenwich Biosciences) for treatment of seizures associated with Dravet syndrome or Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in patients ≥2 years old. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a cannabinoid constituent...more
- MS Cooper et al. Mortality in Dravet syndrome. Epilepsy Res 2016; 128:43.
- EC Wirrell. Treatment of Dravet syndrome. Can J Neurol Sci 2016; 43(Suppl 3):S13.
- AP Ostendorf and YT Ng. Treatment-resistant Lennox-Gastaut syndrome: therapeutic trends, challenges, and future directions. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2017; 13:1131.
- G Purcarin and YT Ng. Experience in the use of clobazam in the treatment of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Ther Adv Neurol Disord 2014; 7:169.
- J Isojarvi et al. Optimizing clobazam treatment in patients with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epilepsy Behav 2018; 78:149.
- Cannabis and cannabinoids. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:97.
- JM McPartland et al. Are cannabidiol and Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabivarin negative modulators of the endocannabinoid system? A systematic review. Br J Pharmacol 2015; 172:737.
- O Devinsky et al. Trial of cannabidiol for drug-resistant seizures in the Dravet syndrome. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:2011.
- O Devinsky et al. Effect of cannabidiol on drop seizures in the Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:1888.
- EA Thiele et al. Cannabidiol in patients with seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (GWPCARE4): a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet 2018; 391:1085.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017. May 18 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- Approximate WAC for a child weighing 20 kg. WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer's published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. October 5, 2018. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2018. www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.