The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
March 25, 2019 (Issue: 1568)A reader has questioned why the label for the COX-2 selective NSAID celecoxib (Celebrex, and generics), which contains a sulfonamide moiety, states that it is contraindicated for use in patients with an allergy to sulfonamides, while the labels...more
- CC Brackett et al. Likelihood and mechanisms of cross-allergenicity between sulfonamide antibiotics and other drugs containing a sulfonamide functional group. Pharmacotherapy 2004; 24:856.
- DF Lehmann. The metabolic rationale for a lack of cross-reactivity between sulfonamide antimicrobials and other sulfonamide-containing drugs. Drug Metab Lett 2012; 6:129.
- NR Wulf and KA Matuszewski. Sulfonamide cross-reactivity: is there evidence to support broad cross-allergenicity? Am J Health Syst Pharm 2013; 70:1483.
- B Schnyder and WJ Pichler. Allergy to sulfonamides. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 131:256.
- D Ponka. Approach to managing patients with sulfa allergy: use of antibiotics and nonantibiotic sulfonamides. Can Fam Physician 2006; 52:1434.
- S Knowles et al. Should celecoxib be contraindicated in patients who are allergic to sulfonamides? Revisiting the meaning of 'sulfa' allergy. Drug Saf 2001; 24:239.
- R Patterson et al. Immunologic tolerability profile of celecoxib. Clin Ther 1999; 21:2065.
- LE Shapiro et al. Safety of celecoxib in individuals allergic to sulfonamide: a pilot study. Drug Saf 2003; 26:187.
- BL Strom et al. Absence of cross-reactivity between sulfonamide antibiotics and sulfonamide nonantibiotics. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:1628.
- M Morgan et al. Patients with sulfonamide antimicrobial allergy: are they able to tolerate sulfonamide-containing non-antimicrobial agents? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004; 113(2) suppl:S180 Abstract 619.
- BA Hemstreet and RL Page. Sulfonamide allergies and outcomes related to use of potentially cross-reactive drugs in hospitalized patients. Pharmacotherapy 2006; 26:551.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.