The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
August 12, 2019
Drugs for Anxiety Disorders
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Anxiety Disorders
August 12, 2019 (Issue: 1578)Anxiety disorders (generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and various phobias) are the most common form of psychiatric illness. They can be treated effectively with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and/or...more
- B Bandelow et al. Treatment of anxiety disorders. Dialogues Clin Neurosci 2017; 19:93.
- A Slee et al. Pharmacological treatments for generalised anxiety disorder: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Lancet 2019; 393:768.
- Drugs for depression. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:85.
- RL Woosley and KA Romero. QT drugs list. Available at: www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed August 1, 2019.
- Citalopram, escitalopram, and the QT interval. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:59.
- O Stephansson et al. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors during pregnancy and risk of stillbirth and infant mortality. JAMA 2013; 309:48.
- A Berard et al. Paroxetine use during pregnancy and perinatal outcomes including types of cardiac malformations in Quebec and France: a short communication. Curr Drug Saf 2012; 7:207.
- Lactmed. Available at: www.toxnet.nlm.nih.gov. Accessed August 1, 2019.
- C Bellantuono et al. The safety of serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) in pregnancy and breastfeeding: a comprehensive review. Hum Psychopharmacol 2015; 30:143.
- CL Mattson et al. Opportunities to prevent overdose deaths involving prescriptions and illicit opioids, 11 states, July 2016-June 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2018; 67:945.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017 September 18 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- I Hernandez et al. Exposure-response association between concurrent opioid and benzodiazepine use and risk of opioid-related overdose in Medicare Part D beneficiaries. JAMA Netw Open 2018; 1:e180919.
- O Sheehy et al. Association between incident exposure to benzodiazepines in early pregnancy and risk of spontaneous abortion. JAMA Psychiatry May 15, 2019 (epub).
- SC Tinker et al. Use of benzodiazepine medications during pregnancy and potential risk for birth defects, National Birth Defects Prevention Study, 1997-2011. Birth Defects Res 2019; 111:613.
- ACOG practice bulletin: clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynecologists number 92, April 2008 (replaces practice bulletin number 87, November 2007). Use of psychiatric medications during pregnancy and lactation. Obstet Gynecol 2008; 111:1001.
- DS Baldwin et al. Pregabalin for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder: an update. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2013; 9:883.
- HK Greenblatt and DJ Greenblatt. Gabapentin and pregabalin for the treatment of anxiety disorders. Clin Pharmacol Drug Dev 2018; 7:228.
- JP Feighner et al. A double-blind comparison of buspirone and diazepam in outpatients with generalized anxiety disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 1982; 43:103.
- JB Cohn and K Rickels. A pooled, double-blind comparison of the effects of buspirone, diazepam and placebo in women with chronic anxiety. Curr Med Res Opin 1989; 11:304.
- N Mokhber et al. Randomized, single-blind, trial of sertraline and buspirone for treatment of elderly patients with generalized anxiety disorder. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2010; 64:128.
- CAC Coupland et al. Anticholinergic drug exposure and the risk of dementia: a nested case-control study. JAMA Intern Med 2019 June 24 (epub).
- C Blanco et al. A placebo-controlled trial of phenelzine, cognitive behavioral group therapy, and their combination for social anxiety disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2010; 67:286.
- DV Sheehan et al. Current concepts in psychiatry. Panic attacks and phobias. N Engl J Med 1982; 307:156.
- N Maneeton et al. Quetiapine monotherapy in acute treatment of generalized anxiety disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Drug Des Devel Ther 2016; 10:259.
- TJ Kreys and SV Phan. A literature review of quetiapine for generalized anxiety disorder. Pharmacotherapy 2015; 35:175.
- JA Bourgeois. The management of performance anxiety with beta-adrenergic blocking agents. Jefferson Journal of Psychiatry 1991; 9:13.
- G Guaiana et al. Hydroxyzine for generalised anxiety disorder. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; (12):CD006815.
- M Markota and RJ Morgan. Treatment of generalized anxiety disorder with gabapentin. Case Rep Psychiatry 2017; 2017; 6045017.
- FDA Press Announcement. FDA warns company marketing unapproved cannabidiol products with unsubstantiated claims to treat cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, opioid withdrawal, pain and pet anxiety. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed August 1, 2019.
- MA Katzman et al. Canadian clinical practice guidelines for the management of anxiety, posttraumatic stress and obsessive-compulsive disorders. BMC Psychiatry 2014; 14 (Suppl 1):S1.
- JT Walkup et al. Cognitive behavior therapy, sertraline, or a combination in childhood anxiety. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:2753.
- GA Brenes et al. Telephone-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy and telephone-delivered nondirective support therapy for rural older adults with generalized anxiety disorder: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry 2015; 72:1012.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.