The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
July 13, 2020 (Issue: 1602)US guidelines recommend pharmacologic therapy for postmenopausal women with a bone density T-score (standard deviation from normal mean values in healthy young women) of -2.5 or below in the lumbar spine, femoral neck, total hip, or distal...more
- PM Camacho et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists/American College of Endocrinology clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis – 2020 update. Endocr Pract 2020; 26(Suppl 1):1.
- FRAX. Fracture risk assessment tool. Available at www.sheffield.ac.uk/FRAX/tool.aspx?country=9. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Vitamin D, calcium, or combined supplementation for the primary prevention of fractures in community-dwelling adults: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. JAMA 2018; 319:1592.
- IR Reid and MJ Bolland. Controversies in medicine: the role of calcium and vitamin D supplements in adults. Med J Aust 2019; 211:468.
- AC Ross et al. The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine: what clinicians need to know. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:53.
- RB Wallace et al. Urinary tract stone occurrence in the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) randomized clinical trial of calcium and vitamin D supplements. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 94:270.
- IR Reid. Cardiovascular effects of calcium supplements. Nutrients 2013; 5:2522.
- RL Prentice et al. Health risks and benefits from calcium and vitamin D supplementation: Women's Health Initiative clinical trial and cohort study. Osteoporos Int 2013; 24:567.
- M Chung et al. Calcium intake and cardiovascular disease risk: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2016; 165:856.
- JA Eisman et al. Efficacy and tolerability of intravenous ibandronate injections in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 2-year results from the DIVA study. J Rheumatol 2008; 35:488.
- FDA drug safety communication: new contraindication and updated warning on kidney impairment for Reclast (zoledronic acid). Available at www.fda.gov. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- AA Khan et al. Case-based review of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) and application of the International Recommendations for Management from the International Task Force on ONJ. J Clin Densitom 2017; 20:8.
- J Schilcher et al. Bisphosphonate use and atypical fractures of the femoral shaft. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1728.
- LY Park-Wyllie et al. Bisphosphonate use and the risk of subtrochanteric or femoral shaft fractures in older women. JAMA 2011; 305:783.
- DM Black et al. Effects of continuing or stopping alendronate after 5 years of treatment: the Fracture Intervention Trial Long-term Extension (FLEX): a randomized trial. JAMA 2006; 296:2927.
- AB Pedersen et al. Comparison of risk of osteoporotic fracture in denosumab vs alendronate treatment within 3 years of initiation. JAMA Netw Open 2019; 2:e192416.
- HG Bone et al. 10 years of denosumab treatment in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: results from the phase 3 randomised FREEDOM trial and open-label extension. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2017; 5:513.
- HG Bone et al. Effects of denosumab treatment and discontinuation on bone mineral density and bone turnover markers in postmenopausal women with low bone mass. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:972.
- AD Anastasilakis et al. Clinical features of 24 patients with rebound-associated vertebral fractures after denosumab discontinuation: systematic review and additional cases. J Bone Miner Res 2017; 32:1291.
- BZ Leder et al. Denosumab and teriparatide transitions in postmenopausal osteoporosis (the DATA-Switch study): extension of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2015; 386:1147.
- DL Kendler et al. Effects of teriparatide and risedronate on new fractures in post-menopausal women with severe osteoporosis (VERO): a multicentre, double-blind, double-dummy, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2018; 391:230.
- Teriparatide (Forteo) for osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2003; 45:9.
- JS Finkelstein et al. Effects of teriparatide retreatment in osteoporotic men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:2495.
- Abaloparatide (Tymlos) for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:97.
- PD Miller et al. Bone mineral density response rates are greater in patients treated with abaloparatide compared with those treated with placebo or teriparatide: results from the ACTIVE phase 3 trial. Bone 2019; 120:137.
- EB Andrews et al. The US postmarketing surveillance study of adult osteosarcoma and teriparatide: study design and findings from the first 7 years. J Bone Miner Res 2012; 27:2429.
- PD Miller et al. Effect of abaloparatide vs. placebo on new vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2016; 316:722.
- KE Ensrud et al. Effects of raloxifene on fracture risk in postmenopausal women: the raloxifene use for the heart trial. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23:112.
- CJ Crandall et al. Comparative effectiveness of pharmacologic treatments to prevent fractures: an updated systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2014; 161:711.
- Conjugated estrogens/bazedoxifene (Duavee) for menopausal symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:33.
- JV Pinkerton et al. Effects of bazedoxifene/conjugated estrogens on the endometrium and bone: a randomized trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014; 99:e189.
- TJ de Villiers et al. Safety and tolerability of bazedoxifene in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: results of a 5-year, randomized, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Osteoporos Int 2011; 22:567.
- Romosozumab (Evenity) for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:83.
- D Shoback et al. Pharmacological management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women: an Endocrine Society guideline update. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2020; 105:587.
- F Cosman et al. Romosozumab treatment in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:1532.
- KG Saag et al. Romosozumab or alendronate for fracture prevention in women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:1417.
- BL Langdahl et al. Romosozumab (sclerostin monoclonal antibody) versus teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis transitioning from oral bisphosphonate therapy: a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2017; 390:1585.
- JA Knopp-Sihota et al. Calcitonin for treating acute and chronic pain of recent and remote osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 2012; 23:17.
- In brief: Cancer risk with salmon calcitonin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:29.
- LM Sun et al. Calcitonin nasal spray and increased cancer risk: a population-based nested case-control study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014; 99:4259.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.