The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Influenza Vaccine for 2020-2021
September 21, 2020 (Issue: 1607)
- LA Grohskopf et al. Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2020-21 influenza season. MMWR Recomm Rep 2020; 69:1.
- World Health Organization. Influenza update – 375. Available at: https://bit.ly/3i8IAOB. Accessed September 10, 2020.
- W Schaffner et al. Seasonal influenza immunisation: strategies for older adults. Int J Clin Pract 2018; 72:e13249.
- R Ray et al. A review of the value of quadrivalent influenza vaccines and their potential contribution to influenza control. Hum Vaccin Immunother 2017; 13:1640.
- WEP Beyer et al. Rationale for two influenza B lineages in seasonal vaccines: a meta-regression study on immunogenicity and controlled field trials. Vaccine 2017; 35:4167.
- C Arriola et al. Influenza vaccination modifies disease severity among community-dwelling adults hospitalized with influenza. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 65:1289.
- B Flannery et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness against pediatric deaths: 2010-2014. Pediatrics 2017; 139:e20164244.
- AP Campbell et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness against laboratory-confirmed influenza in children hospitalized with respiratory illness in the United States, 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. Presented at ID Week, Washington, DC, October 2-6, 2019. Abstract 899. Available at: https://bit.ly/35bFoOL. Accessed September 10, 2020.
- S Garg et al. Influenza vaccine reduces risk of severe outcomes among adults hospitalized with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, FluServ-NET, 2013-2018. Presented at ID Week, Washington, DC, October 2-6, 2019. Abstract 898. Available at: https://bit.ly/3lIEr6e. Accessed September 10, 2020.
- EA Belongia et al. Variable influenza vaccine effectiveness by subtype: a systematic review and meta-analysis of test-negative design studies. Lancet Infect Dis 2016; 16:942.
- M Darvishian et al. Effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccine in community-dwelling elderly people: a meta-analysis of test-negative design case-control studies. Lancet Infect Dis 2014; 14:1228.
- MA Rolfes et al. Effects of influenza vaccination in the United States during the 2017-2018 influenza season. Clin Infect Dis 2019; 69:1845.
- FS Dawood et al. Interim estimates of 2019-20 seasonal influenza vaccine effectiveness – United States, February 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020; 69:177.
- J Benjamin-Chung et al. Evaluation of a city-wide school-located influenza vaccination program in Oakland, California, with respect to vaccination coverage, school absences, and laboratory-confirmed influenza: a matched cohort study. Plos Medicine 2020; 17:e1003238.
- Committee on Infectious Diseases. Recommendations for prevention and control of influenza in children, 2020-2021. Pediatrics 2020 September 8 (epub).
- JR Chung et al. Live attenuated and inactivated influenza vaccine effectiveness. Pediatrics 2019; 143:e20182094.
- ML Jackson et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in the United States during the 2015-2016 season. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:534.
- SA Buchan et al. Effectiveness of live attenuated vs inactivated influenza vaccines in children during the 2012-2013 through 2015-2016 influenza seasons in Alberta, Canada: a Canadian Immunization Research Network (CIRN) study. JAMA Pediatr 2018; 172:e181514.
- B Young et al. Do antibody responses to the influenza vaccine persist year-round in the elderly? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine 2017; 35:212.
- JY Song et al. Long-term immunogenicity of influenza vaccine among the elderly: risk factors for poor immune response and persistence. Vaccine 2010; 28:3929.
- ML Anderson et al. The effect of influenza vaccination for the elderly on hospitalization and mortality: an observational study with a regression discontinuity design. Ann Intern Med 2020; 172:445.
- R Baxter et al. Evaluation of the safety, reactogenicity and immunogenicity of FluBlok trivalent recombinant baculovirus-expressed hemagglutinin influenza vaccine administered intramuscularly to healthy adults 50-64 years of age. Vaccine 2011; 29:2272.
- LM Dunkle et al. Efficacy of recombinant influenza vaccine in adults 50 years of age or older. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:2427.
- EB Chahine. High-dose inactivated influenza vaccine quadrivalent for older adults. Ann Pharmacother 2020 Jun 24 (epub).
- LJ Chang et al. Safety and immunogenicity of high-dose quadrivalent influenza vaccine in adults ≥65 years of age: a phase 3 randomized clinical trial. Vaccine 2019; 37:5825.
- CA DiazGranados et al. Efficacy of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccine in older adults. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:635.
- S Gravenstein et al. Comparative effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccination on numbers of US nursing home residents admitted to hospital: a cluster-randomised trial. Lancet Respir Med 2017; 5:738.
- DK Shay et al. Comparative effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccines among US Medicare beneficiaries in preventing postinfluenza deaths during 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. J Infect Dis 2017; 215:510.
- JKH Lee et al. Efficacy and effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccination for older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Expert Rev Vaccines 2018; 17:435.
- Y Young-Xu et al. High-dose influenza vaccination and mortality among predominantly male, white, senior veterans, United States, 2012/13 to 2014/2015. Vaccine 2020; 25:1900401.
- R van Aalst et al. Comparative effectiveness of high dose versus adjuvanted influenza vaccine: a retrospective cohort study. Vaccine 2020; 38:372.
- Fluad – an adjuvanted seasonal influenza vaccine for older adults. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:8.
- SE Frey et al. Comparison of the safety and immunogenicity of an MF59-adjuvanted with a non-adjuvanted seasonal influenza vaccine in elderly subjects. Vaccine 2014; 32:5027.
- PG Van Buynder et al. The comparative effectiveness of adjuvanted and unadjuvanted trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV) in the elderly. Vaccine 2013; 31:6122.
- S Mannino et al. Effectiveness of adjuvanted influenza vaccination in elderly subjects in northern Italy. Am J Epidemiol 2012; 176:527.
- CDC. Addressing concerns pregnant women might have about influenza vaccine safety. Available at: https://bit.ly/3jDkTyg. Accessed September 10, 2020.
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 732: influenza vaccination during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2018; 131:e109.
- MG Thompson et al. Effectiveness of seasonal trivalent influenza vaccine for preventing influenza virus illness among pregnant women: a population-based case-control study during the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 influenza seasons. Clin Infect Dis 2014; 58:449.
- MG Thompson et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in preventing influenza-associated hospitalizations during pregnancy: a multi-country retrospective test negative design study, 2010-2016. Clin Infect Dis 2019; 68:1444.
- SG Sullivan et al. Burden, effectiveness and safety of influenza vaccines in elderly, paediatric and pregnant populations. Ther Adv Vaccines Immunother 2019; 7:1.
- M Greenhawt et al. Administration of influenza vaccines to egg allergic recipients: a practice parameter update 2017. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2018; 120:49.
- Y Natori et al. A double-blind, randomized trial of high-dose vs standard-dose influenza vaccine in adult solid-organ transplant recipients. Clin Infect Dis 2018; 66:1698.
- AG L'Huillier et al. Cell-mediated immune responses after influenza vaccination of solid organ transplant recipients: secondary outcomes analyses of a randomized controlled trial. J Infect Dis 2020; 221:53.
- I Colmegna et al. Efficacy of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccine in seropositive rheumatoid arthritis patients. Arthritis Rheumatol 2018; 70 (suppl 10). Abstract 837.
- JC Kwong et al. Risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome after seasonal influenza vaccination and influenza health-care encounters: a self-controlled study. Lancet Infect Dis 2013; 13:769.
- LL Polakowski et al. Chart-confirmed Guillain-Barré syndrome after 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccination among the Medicare population, 2009-2010. Am J Epidemiol 2013; 178:962.
- TF Schwarz et al. Immunogenicity and safety of an adjuvanted herpes zoster subunit vaccine coadministered with seasonal influenza vaccine in adults aged 50 years or older. J Infect Dis 2017; 216:1352.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.