The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Parkinson's Disease
February 22, 2021 (Issue: 1618)The motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease (PD) are caused primarily by degeneration of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra. The nonmotor symptoms of the disease are thought to be caused by degeneration of other neurotransmitter systems....more
- J Jankovic and EK Tan. Parkinson's disease: etiopathogenesis and treatment. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2020; 91:795.
- MJ Armstrong and MS Okun. Diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson disease: a review. JAMA 2020; 323:548.
- SH Fox and AW Lang. "Don't delay, start today": delaying levodopa does not delay motor complications. Brain 2014; 137:2628.
- CVM Verschuur et al. Randomized delayed-start trial of levodopa in Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 2019; 380:315.
- CW Olanow et al. Continuous intrajejunal infusion of levodopa-carbidopa intestinal gel for patients with advanced Parkinson's disease: a randomised, controlled, double-blind, double-dummy study. Lancet Neurol 2014; 13:141.
- In brief: Duopa – a carbidopa/levodopa enteral suspension for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:112.
- Inhaled levodopa (Inbrija) for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:73.
- D Weintraub. Impulse control disorders in Parkinson's disease: a 20-year odyssey. Mov Disord 2019; 34:447.
- R Katzenschlager et al. Apomorphine subcutaneous infusion in patients with Parkinson's disease with persistent motor fluctuations (TOLEDO): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2018; 17:749.
- CW Olanow et al. Apomorphine sublingual film for off episodes in Parkinson's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 study. Lancet Neurol 2020; 19:135.
- Sublingual apomorphine (Kynmobi) for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:165.
- MJ Nirenberg. Dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome: implications for patient care. Drugs Aging 2013; 30:587.
- HAG Teive and RP Munhoz. Rotigotine-induced nail dyschromia in a patient with Parkinson disease. Neurology 2011; 76:1605.
- Opicapone (Ongentys) – a COMT inhibitor for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:3.
- Rasagiline (Azilect) for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:97.
- O Rascol et al. Rasagiline as an adjunct to levodopa in patients with Parkinson's disease and motor fluctuations (LARGO, Lasting effect in Adjunct therapy with Rasagiline Given Once daily, study): a randomised, double-blind, parallel-group trial. Lancet 2005; 365:947.
- AHV Schapira et al. Assessment of safety and efficacy of safinamide as a levodopa adjunct in patients with Parkinson disease and motor fluctuations: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Neurol 2017; 74:216.
- Safinamide (Xadago) for Parkinson's Disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:151.
- Istradefylline (Nourianz) for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:20.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and p-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020 September 10 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- Osmolex ER – another extended-release amantadine for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:148.
- Extended-release amantadine (Gocovri) for dyskinesia in Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:198.
- RL Woosley and KA Romero. QT drugs list. Available at: www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed February 3, 2021.
- CAC Coupland et al. Anticholinergic drug exposure and the risk of dementia: a nested case-control study. JAMA Intern Med 2019; 179:1084.
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease with early motor complications. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:81.
- G Suarez-Cedeno et al. Earlier intervention with deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. Parkinsons Dis 2017 Aug 16 (epub).
- MS Okun. Deep-brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:1529.
- FM Weaver et al. Bilateral deep brain stimulation vs best medical therapy for patients with advanced Parkinson disease: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009; 301:63.
- WMM Schuepbach et al. Neurostimulation for Parkinson's disease with early motor complications. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:610.
- KA Follett et al. Pallidal versus subthalamic deep-brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:2077.
- A Ramirez-Zamora and JL Ostrem. Globus pallidus interna or subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for Parkinson disease: a review. JAMA Neurol 2018; 75:367.
- R Martinez-Fernandez et al. Randomized trial of focused ultrasound subthalamotomy for Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 2020; 383:2501.
- K Seppi et al. Update on treatment for nonmotor symptoms of Parkinson's disease – an evidence-based medicine review. Mov Disord 2019; 34:180.
- Pimavanserin (Nuplazid) for Parkinson's disease psychosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:74.
- Drugs for cognitive loss and dementia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:155.
- MKY Mac and ISK Wong-Yu. Exercise for Parkinson's disease. Int Rev Neurobiol 2019; 147:1.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.