The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
September 25, 2017
Drugs for Cognitive Loss and Dementia
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Cognitive Loss and Dementia
September 25, 2017 (Issue: 1530)
- CH Sadowsky and JE Galvin. Guidelines for the management of cognitive and behavioral problems in dementia. J Am Board Fam Med 2012; 25:350.
- LN Gitlin et al. Nonpharmacologic management of behavioral symptoms in dementia. JAMA 2012; 308:2020.
- ME O'Neil et al. A systematic evidence review of non-pharmacological interventions for behavioral symptoms of dementia [internet]. VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program Reports. 2011 March (epub).
- MS Mittelman and SJ Bartels. Translating research into practice: case study of a community-based dementia caregiver intervention. Health Aff (Millwood) 2014; 33:587.
- TH Ferreira-Vieira et al. Alzheimer's disease: targeting the cholinergic system. Curr Neuropharmacol 2016; 14:101.
- JS Buckley and SR Salpeter. A risk-benefit assessment of dementia medications: systematic review of the evidence. Drugs Aging 2015; 32:453.
- Donepezil (Aricept) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 1997; 39:53.
- RC Petersen et al. Vitamin E and donepezil for the treatment of mild cognitive impairment. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:2379.
- SL Rogers et al. A 24-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Donepezil Study Group. Neurology 1998; 50:136.
- SL Rogers and LT Friedhoff. The efficacy and safety of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer's disease: results of a US multicentre, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The Donepezil Study Group. Dementia 1996; 7:293.
- C Courtney et al. Long-term donepezil treatment in 565 patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD2000): randomised double-blind trial. Lancet 2004; 363:2105.
- B Winblad et al. Donepezil in patients with severe Alzheimer's disease: double-blind, parallel-group, placebo-controlled study. Lancet 2006; 367:1057.
- SE Black et al. Donepezil preserves cognition and global function in patients with severe Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2007; 69:459.
- RJ Howard et al. Donepezil and memantine for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:893.
- M Rolinski et al. Cholinesterase inhibitors for dementia with Lewy bodies, Parkinson's disease dementia and cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 3:CD006504.
- M Ikeda et al. Donepezil for dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomized, placebo-controlled, confirmatory phase III trial. Alzheimers Res Ther 2015; 7:4.
- E Mori et al. Long-term donepezil use for dementia with Lewy bodies: results from an open-label extension of phase III trial. Alzheimers Res Ther 2015; 7:5.
- MR Farlow et al. Effectiveness and tolerability of high-dose (23 mg/d) versus standard-dose (10 mg/d) donepezil in moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease: a 24-week, randomized, double-blind study. Clin Ther 2010; 32:1234.
- DS Knopman. Donepezil 23 mg: an empty suit. Neurol Clin Pract 2012; 2:352.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and p-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017 May 18 (epub). Available at: medicalletter. org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- B Winblad et al. Safety and efficacy of galantamine in subjects with mild cognitive impairment. Neurology 2008; 70:2024.
- Galantamine (Reminyl) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2001; 43:53.
- K Rockwood et al. Attainment of treatment goals by people with Alzheimer's disease receiving galantamine: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ 2006; 174:1099.
- K Hager et al. Effect of concomitant use of memantine on mortality and efficacy outcomes of galantamine-treated patients with Alzheimer's disease: post-hoc analysis of a randomized placebo-controlled study. Alzheimers Res Ther 2016; 8:47.
- T Erkinjuntti et al. Efficacy of galantamine in probable vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease combined with cerebrovascular disease: a randomised trial. Lancet 2002; 359:1283.
- R Bullock et al. Management of patients with Alzheimer's disease plus cerebrovascular disease: 12-month treatment with galantamine. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2004; 17:29.
- Rivastigmine (Exelon) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2000; 42:93.
- HH Feldman et al. Effect of rivastigmine on delay to diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease from mild cognitive impairment: the InDDEx study. Lancet Neurol 2007; 6:501.
- JS Birks and J Grimley Evans. Rivastigmine for Alzheimer's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 4:CD001191.
- B Winblad et al. A six-month double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of a transdermal patch in Alzheimer's disease – rivastigmine patch versus capsule. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007; 22:456.
- MR Farlow et al. A 24-week, randomized, controlled trial of rivastigmine patch 13.3 mg/24 h versus 4.6 mg/24 h in severe Alzheimer's dementia. CNS Neurosci Ther 2013; 19:745.
- E Mamikonyan et al. Rivastigmine for mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson disease: a placebo-controlled study. Mov Disord 2015; 30:912.
- I McKeith et al. Efficacy of rivastigmine in dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled international study. Lancet 2000; 356:2031.
- C Ballard et al. Efficacy, safety and tolerability of rivastigmine capsules in patients with probable vascular dementia: the VantagE study. Curr Med Res Opin 2008; 24:2561.
- A Wentrup et al. Once-daily transdermal rivastigmine in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Drug Des Devel Ther 2009; 2:245.
- J Cummings et al. Randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, 48-week study for efficacy and safety of a higher-dose rivastigmine patch (15 vs. 10 cm2) in Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2012; 33:341.
- Memantine for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2003; 45:73.
- PT Francis et al. Rationale for combining glutamatergic and cholinergic approaches in the symptomatic treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Expert Rev Neurother 2012; 12:1351.
- B Reisberg et al. Memantine in moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2003; 348:1333.
- PN Tariot et al. Memantine treatment in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer disease already receiving donepezil: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 291:317.
- AP Porsteinsson et al. Memantine treatment in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease already receiving a cholinesterase inhibitor: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Curr Alzheimer Res 2008; 5:83.
- Namzaric – a combination of 2 old drugs for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:105.
- JM Orgogozo et al. Efficacy and safety of memantine in patients with mild to moderate vascular dementia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial (MMM 300). Stroke 2002; 33:1834.
- G Wilcock et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled multicentre study of memantine in mild to moderate vascular dementia (MMM500). Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2002; 17:297.
- HF Wang et al. Efficacy and safety of cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine in cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease, Parkinson's disease dementia, and dementia with Lewy bodies: systematic review with meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2015; 86:135.
- VI Reus et al. The American Psychiatric Association practice guideline on the use of antipsychotics to treat agitation or psychosis in patients with dementia. Am J Psychiatry 2016; 173:543.
- DL Sultzer et al. Clinical symptom responses to atypical antipsychotic medications in Alzheimer's disease: phase 1 outcomes from the CATIE-AD effectiveness trial. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:844.
- HC Liu et al. Extrapyramidal side-effect due to drug combination of risperidone and donepezil. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2002; 56:479.
- CL Vigen et al. Cognitive effects of atypical antipsychotic medications in patients with Alzheimer's disease: outcomes from CATIE-AD. Am J Psychiatry 2011; 168:831.
- DP Seitz et al. Antidepressants for agitation and psychosis in dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; 2:CD008191.
- AP Porsteinsson et al. Effect of citalopram on agitation in Alzheimer disease: the CitAD randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 311:682.
- Dextromethorphan/quinidine (Nuedexta) for pseudobulbar affect. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:46.
- JL Cummings et al. Effect of dextromethorphan-quinidine on agitation in patients with Alzheimer disease dementia: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2015; 314:1242.
- MW Dysken et al. Effect of vitamin E and memantine on functional decline in Alzheimer disease: the TEAM-AD VA cooperative randomized trial. JAMA 2014; 311:33.
- ST DeKosky et al. Ginkgo biloba for prevention of dementia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2008; 300:2253.
- LS Schneider et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of two doses of Ginkgo biloba extract in dementia of the Alzheimer's type. Curr Alzheimer Res 2005; 2:541.
- BE Snitz et al. Ginkgo biloba for preventing cognitive decline in older adults: a randomized trial. JAMA 2009; 302:2663.
- B Vellas et al. Long-term use of standardised Ginkgo biloba extract for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease (GuidAge): a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2012; 11:851.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.