The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Cognitive Loss and Dementia
September 25, 2017 (Issue: 1530)Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common cause of dementia, but cognitive loss is also associated with other neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies, vascular dementia, and frontotemporal dementia.
- CH Sadowsky and JE Galvin. Guidelines for the management of cognitive and behavioral problems in dementia. J Am Board Fam Med 2012; 25:350.
- LN Gitlin et al. Nonpharmacologic management of behavioral symptoms in dementia. JAMA 2012; 308:2020.
- ME O'Neil et al. A systematic evidence review of non-pharmacological interventions for behavioral symptoms of dementia [internet]. VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program Reports. 2011 March (epub).
- MS Mittelman and SJ Bartels. Translating research into practice: case study of a community-based dementia caregiver intervention. Health Aff (Millwood) 2014; 33:587.
- TH Ferreira-Vieira et al. Alzheimer's disease: targeting the cholinergic system. Curr Neuropharmacol 2016; 14:101.
- JS Buckley and SR Salpeter. A risk-benefit assessment of dementia medications: systematic review of the evidence. Drugs Aging 2015; 32:453.
- Donepezil (Aricept) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 1997; 39:53.
- RC Petersen et al. Vitamin E and donepezil for the treatment of mild cognitive impairment. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:2379.
- SL Rogers et al. A 24-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Donepezil Study Group. Neurology 1998; 50:136.
- SL Rogers and LT Friedhoff. The efficacy and safety of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer's disease: results of a US multicentre, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The Donepezil Study Group. Dementia 1996; 7:293.
- C Courtney et al. Long-term donepezil treatment in 565 patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD2000): randomised double-blind trial. Lancet 2004; 363:2105.
- B Winblad et al. Donepezil in patients with severe Alzheimer's disease: double-blind, parallel-group, placebo-controlled study. Lancet 2006; 367:1057.
- SE Black et al. Donepezil preserves cognition and global function in patients with severe Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2007; 69:459.
- RJ Howard et al. Donepezil and memantine for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:893.
- M Rolinski et al. Cholinesterase inhibitors for dementia with Lewy bodies, Parkinson's disease dementia and cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 3:CD006504.
- M Ikeda et al. Donepezil for dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomized, placebo-controlled, confirmatory phase III trial. Alzheimers Res Ther 2015; 7:4.
- E Mori et al. Long-term donepezil use for dementia with Lewy bodies: results from an open-label extension of phase III trial. Alzheimers Res Ther 2015; 7:5.
- MR Farlow et al. Effectiveness and tolerability of high-dose (23 mg/d) versus standard-dose (10 mg/d) donepezil in moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease: a 24-week, randomized, double-blind study. Clin Ther 2010; 32:1234.
- DS Knopman. Donepezil 23 mg: an empty suit. Neurol Clin Pract 2012; 2:352.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and p-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017 May 18 (epub). Available at: medicalletter. org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed September 13, 2017.
- B Winblad et al. Safety and efficacy of galantamine in subjects with mild cognitive impairment. Neurology 2008; 70:2024.
- Galantamine (Reminyl) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2001; 43:53.
- K Rockwood et al. Attainment of treatment goals by people with Alzheimer's disease receiving galantamine: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ 2006; 174:1099.
- K Hager et al. Effect of concomitant use of memantine on mortality and efficacy outcomes of galantamine-treated patients with Alzheimer's disease: post-hoc analysis of a randomized placebo-controlled study. Alzheimers Res Ther 2016; 8:47.
- T Erkinjuntti et al. Efficacy of galantamine in probable vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease combined with cerebrovascular disease: a randomised trial. Lancet 2002; 359:1283.
- R Bullock et al. Management of patients with Alzheimer's disease plus cerebrovascular disease: 12-month treatment with galantamine. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2004; 17:29.
- Rivastigmine (Exelon) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2000; 42:93.
- HH Feldman et al. Effect of rivastigmine on delay to diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease from mild cognitive impairment: the InDDEx study. Lancet Neurol 2007; 6:501.
- JS Birks and J Grimley Evans. Rivastigmine for Alzheimer's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 4:CD001191.
- B Winblad et al. A six-month double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of a transdermal patch in Alzheimer's disease – rivastigmine patch versus capsule. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007; 22:456.
- MR Farlow et al. A 24-week, randomized, controlled trial of rivastigmine patch 13.3 mg/24 h versus 4.6 mg/24 h in severe Alzheimer's dementia. CNS Neurosci Ther 2013; 19:745.
- E Mamikonyan et al. Rivastigmine for mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson disease: a placebo-controlled study. Mov Disord 2015; 30:912.
- I McKeith et al. Efficacy of rivastigmine in dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled international study. Lancet 2000; 356:2031.
- C Ballard et al. Efficacy, safety and tolerability of rivastigmine capsules in patients with probable vascular dementia: the VantagE study. Curr Med Res Opin 2008; 24:2561.
- A Wentrup et al. Once-daily transdermal rivastigmine in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Drug Des Devel Ther 2009; 2:245.
- J Cummings et al. Randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, 48-week study for efficacy and safety of a higher-dose rivastigmine patch (15 vs. 10 cm2) in Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2012; 33:341.
- Memantine for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2003; 45:73.
- PT Francis et al. Rationale for combining glutamatergic and cholinergic approaches in the symptomatic treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Expert Rev Neurother 2012; 12:1351.
- B Reisberg et al. Memantine in moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2003; 348:1333.
- PN Tariot et al. Memantine treatment in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer disease already receiving donepezil: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 291:317.
- AP Porsteinsson et al. Memantine treatment in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease already receiving a cholinesterase inhibitor: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Curr Alzheimer Res 2008; 5:83.
- Namzaric – a combination of 2 old drugs for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:105.
- JM Orgogozo et al. Efficacy and safety of memantine in patients with mild to moderate vascular dementia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial (MMM 300). Stroke 2002; 33:1834.
- G Wilcock et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled multicentre study of memantine in mild to moderate vascular dementia (MMM500). Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2002; 17:297.
- HF Wang et al. Efficacy and safety of cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine in cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease, Parkinson's disease dementia, and dementia with Lewy bodies: systematic review with meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2015; 86:135.
- VI Reus et al. The American Psychiatric Association practice guideline on the use of antipsychotics to treat agitation or psychosis in patients with dementia. Am J Psychiatry 2016; 173:543.
- DL Sultzer et al. Clinical symptom responses to atypical antipsychotic medications in Alzheimer's disease: phase 1 outcomes from the CATIE-AD effectiveness trial. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:844.
- HC Liu et al. Extrapyramidal side-effect due to drug combination of risperidone and donepezil. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2002; 56:479.
- CL Vigen et al. Cognitive effects of atypical antipsychotic medications in patients with Alzheimer's disease: outcomes from CATIE-AD. Am J Psychiatry 2011; 168:831.
- DP Seitz et al. Antidepressants for agitation and psychosis in dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; 2:CD008191.
- AP Porsteinsson et al. Effect of citalopram on agitation in Alzheimer disease: the CitAD randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 311:682.
- Dextromethorphan/quinidine (Nuedexta) for pseudobulbar affect. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:46.
- JL Cummings et al. Effect of dextromethorphan-quinidine on agitation in patients with Alzheimer disease dementia: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2015; 314:1242.
- MW Dysken et al. Effect of vitamin E and memantine on functional decline in Alzheimer disease: the TEAM-AD VA cooperative randomized trial. JAMA 2014; 311:33.
- ST DeKosky et al. Ginkgo biloba for prevention of dementia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2008; 300:2253.
- LS Schneider et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of two doses of Ginkgo biloba extract in dementia of the Alzheimer's type. Curr Alzheimer Res 2005; 2:541.
- BE Snitz et al. Ginkgo biloba for preventing cognitive decline in older adults: a randomized trial. JAMA 2009; 302:2663.
- B Vellas et al. Long-term use of standardised Ginkgo biloba extract for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease (GuidAge): a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2012; 11:851.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.