The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
November 15, 2021
Drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis
November 15, 2021 (Issue: 1637)Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is prevalent in 0.5% of adults in the US; it is about 2.5 times more common in women than in men. Guidelines for treatment of RA from the American College of Rheumatology were recently updated. The goal of treatment is...more
- TM Hunter et al. Prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis in the United States adult population in healthcare claims databases, 2004-2014. Rheumatol Int 2017; 37:1551.
- L Fraenkel et al. American College of Rheumatology guideline for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 2021; 73:924.
- MF Marmor et al. Recommendations on screening for chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine retinopathy (2016 revision). Ophthalmology 2016; 123:1386.
- N Abdulaziz et al. Hydroxychloroquine: balancing the need to maintain therapeutic levels with ocular safety: an update. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2018; 30:249.
- EI Ette et al. Chloroquine elimination in humans: effect of low-dose cimetidine. J Clin Pharmacol 1987; 27:813.
- RB Melles et al. The risk of toxic retinopathy in patients on long-term hydroxychloroquine therapy. JAMA Ophthalmol 2014; 132:1453.
- N Alcorn et al. Benefit-risk assessment of leflunomide: an appraisal of leflunomide in rheumatoid arthritis 10 years after licensing. Drug Saf 2009; 32:1123.
- K Janke et al. Comparative effectiveness of biological medicines in rheumatoid arthritis: systematic review and network meta-analysis including aggregate results from reanalyzed individual patient data. BMJ 2020; 370:m2288.
- GR Burmester et al. Efficacy and safety of sarilumab monotherapy versus adalimumab monotherapy for the treatment of patients with active rheumatoid arthritis (MONARCH): a randomized, double-blind, parallel-group phase III trial. Ann Rheum Dis 2017; 76:840.
- Sarilumab (Kevzara) for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:134.
- Tocilizumab (Actemra) for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:47.
- C Gabay et al. Tocilizumab monotherapy versus adalimumab monotherapy for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (ADACTA): a randomised, double-blind, controlled phase 4 trial. Lancet 2013; 381:1541.
- M Dougados et al. Adding tocilizumab or switching to tocilizumab monotherapy in methotrexate inadequate responders: 24-week symptomatic and structural results of a 2-year randomised controlled strategy trial in rheumatoid arthritis (ACT-RAY). Ann Rheum Dis 2013; 72:43.
- Rituximab (Rituxan) for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:34.
- SB Cohen et al. Rituximab for rheumatoid arthritis refractory to anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy: results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III trial evaluating primary efficacy and safety at twenty-four weeks. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54:2793.
- Abatacept (Orencia) for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:17.
- M Shiff et al. Head-to-head comparison of subcutaneous abatacept versus adalimumab for rheumatoid arthritis: two-year efficacy and safety findings from AMPLE trial. Ann Rheum Dis 2014; 73:86.
- Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:1.
- Baricitinib (Olumiant) for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:120.
- Upadacitinib (Rinvoq) – a new JAK inhibitor for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:183.
- EB Lee et al. Tofacitinib versus methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:2377.
- R Fleischmann et al. Efficacy and safety of tofacitinib monotherapy, tofacitinib with methotrexate, and adalimumab with methotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (ORAL Strategy): a phase 3b/4, double-blind, head-to-head, randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2017; 390:457.
- S Mori and Y Ueki. Outcomes of dose reduction, withdrawal, and restart of tofacitinib in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a prospective observational study. Clin Rheumatol 2019; 38:3391.
- PC Taylor et al. Baricitinib versus placebo or adalimumab in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:652.
- MC Genovese et al. Baricitinib in patients with refractory rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med 2016; 374:1243.
- R Fleischmann et al. Upadacitinib versus placebo or adalimumab in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and an inadequate response to methotrexate: results of a phase III, double-blind, randomized controlled trial. Arthritis Rheumatol 2019; 71:1788.
- A Rubbert-Roth et al. Trial of upadacitinib or abatacept in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med 2020; 383:1511.
- NIH. Safety study of tofacitinib versus tumor necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitor in subjects with rheumatoid arthritis. Available at: https://bit.ly/3lcBCdZ. Accessed October 28, 2021.
- In brief: New warnings for Janus kinase inhibitors. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:160.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication. FDA requires warnings about increased risk of serious heart-related events, cancer, blood clots, and death for JAK inhibitors that treat certain chronic inflammatory conditions. September 1, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/399nnBj. Accessed October 28, 2021.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes, P-glycoprotein, and other transporters. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021 October 20 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_ Tables.pdf.
- MF Bakker et al. Low-dose prednisone inclusion in a methotrexate-based, tight control strategy for early rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2012; 156:329.
- MD George et al. Risk for serious infection with low-dose glucocorticoids in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2020; 173:870.
- Nonopioid drugs for pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:24.
- Diclofenac gel for osteoarthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:31.
- MB Talabi and MEB Clowse. Antirheumatic medications in pregnancy and breastfeeding. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2020; 32:238.
- LR Sammaritano et al. 2020 American College of Rheumatology guideline for the management of reproductive health in rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. Arthritis Rheumatol 2020; 72:529.
- MEB Clowse et al. Pregnancy outcomes after exposure to certolizumab pegol: updated results from a pharmacovigilance safety database. Arthritis Rheum 2018; 70:1399.
- In brief: New warnings on NSAID use in pregnancy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:175.
- KR Reddy et al. American Gastroenterological Association Institute guideline on the prevention and treatment of hepatitis B virus reactivation during immunosuppressive drug therapy. Gastroenterology 2015; 148:215.
- American College of Rheumatology. COVID-19 vaccine clinical guidance summary for patients with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. August 19, 2021. Available at https://bit.ly/3mibeS4. Accessed October 28, 2021.
- In brief: Third dose of mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines for immunocompromised persons. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:145.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.