The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
- Antiviral Drugs for Seasonal Influenza 2014-2015
- Two New Drugs for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Invokamet and Xigduo XR - Two New Combinations for Type 2 Diabetes
- Secondary Prevention of Stroke
- In Brief: Adding Ezetimibe to a Statin Improves Clinical Outcomes
- In Brief: Topiramate Extended-Release Capsules (Qudexy XR) (online only)
Antiviral Drugs for Seasonal Influenza 2014-2015
December 8, 2014 (Issue: 1457)Antiviral drugs can be used for treatment of influenza and as an adjunct to influenza vaccination for prophylaxis. Frequently updated information on influenza activity and antiviral resistance is available from the CDC at www.cdc.gov/flu.
- Influenza vaccine for 2014-2015. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:97.
- AE Fiore et al. Antiviral agents for the treatment and chemoprophylaxis of influenza – recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep 2011; 60:1.
- SA Harper et al. Seasonal influenza in adults and children – diagnosis, treatment, chemoprophylaxis, and institutional outbreak management: clinical practice guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2009; 48:1003.
- JK Louie et al. Neuraminidase inhibitors for critically ill children with influenza. Pediatrics 2013; 132:e1539.
- SG Muthuri et al. Effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors in reducing mortality in patients admitted to hospital with influenza A H1N1pdm09 virus infection: a meta-analysis of individual participant data. Lancet Respir Med 2014; 2:395.
- JK Louie et al. Treatment with neuraminidase inhibitors for critically ill patients with influenza A (H1N1)pdm09. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 55:1198.
- RE Ariano et al. Enteric absorption and pharmacokinetics of oseltamivir in critically ill patients with pandemic (H1N1) influenza. CMAJ 2010; 182:357.
- QM Le et al. A community cluster of oseltamivir-resistant cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:86.
- AH Gaur et al. Intravenous zanamivir for oseltamivir-resistant 2009 H1N1 influenza. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:88.
- S Toovey et al. Post-marketing assessment of neuropsychiatric adverse events in influenza patients treated with oseltamivir: an updated review. Adv Ther 2012; 29:826.
- CDC. Influenza antiviral medications: summary for clinicians. Available at www.cdc.gov/flu. Accessed November 21, 2014.
- MH Yudin. Risk management of seasonal influenza during pregnancy: current perspectives. Int J Womens Health 2014; 6:681.
- M Wollenhaupt et al. The safety of oseltamivir in pregnancy: an updated review of post-marketing data. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2014; 23:1035.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.