The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
- Bezlotoxumab (Zinplava) for Prevention of Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection
- Nusinersen (Spinraza) for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Exablate Neuro for Essential Tremor
- Obeticholic Acid (Ocaliva) for Primary Biliary Cholangitis
- Triferic for Iron Replacement
- Inhibitors and Inducers of CYP Enzymes and P-Glycoprotein (online only)
Bezlotoxumab (Zinplava) for Prevention of Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection
March 27, 2017 (Issue: 1517)The FDA has approved the fully human monoclonal antibody bezlotoxumab (Zinplava – Merck) for use with antibacterial drug treatment to reduce recurrence of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) in adults with CDI at high risk for recurrence. It...more
- I See et al. NAP1 strain type predicts outcomes from Clostridium difficile infection. Clin Infect Dis 2014; 58:1394.
- DN Gerding et al. Treatment of clostridium difficile infection. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 46 Suppl 1 :S32.
- VW Stevens et al. Comparative effectiveness of vancomycin and metronidazole for the prevention of recurrence and death in patients with Clostridium difficile infection. JAMA Intern Med 2017 Feb 6 (epub).
- Fidaxomicin (Dificid) for Clostridium difficile infection. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:73.
- SD Goldenberg et al. The impact of the introduction of fidaxomicin on the management of Clostridium difficile infection in seven NHS secondary care hospitals in England: a series of local service evaluations. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2016; 35:251.
- K Rao and N Safdar. Fecal microbiota transplantation for the treatment of Clostridium difficile infection. J Hosp Med 2016; 11:56.
- SS Hota et al. Oral vancomycin followed by fecal transplantation versus tapering oral vancomycin treatment for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection: an open-label, randomized, controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 64:265.
- Z Yang et al. Mechanisms of protection against Clostridium difficile infection by the monoclonal antitoxin antibodies actoxumab and bezlotoxumab. Infect Immun 2015; 83:822.
- MH Wilcox et al. Bezlotoxumab for prevention of recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:305.
- V Prabhu et al. Bezlotoxumab decreases CDI recurrence and is associated with a reduction in 30-day readmissions: European analysis. Presented at European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID), Amsterdam, The Netherland, April 9-12, 2016. Abstract P1340.
- Approximate WAC. WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer's published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. March 5, 2017. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2017. www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.