The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Allergic Disorders
May 8, 2017 (Issue: 1520)Allergic rhinitis can be classified as seasonal, perennial, or episodic. It is often associated with allergic conjunctivitis, rhinosinusitis, and asthma. H1-ANTIHISTAMINES — Oral – Oral second-generation H1-antihistamines are the preferred...more
- MD Seidman et al. Clinical practice guideline: allergic rhinitis executive summary. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2015; 152:197.
- GK Scadding. Optimal management of allergic rhinitis. Arch Dis Child 2015; 100:576.
- FE Simons and KJ Simons. Histamine and H1-antihistamines: celebrating a century of progress. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:1139.
- MK Church et al. Risk of first-generation H(1)-antihistamines: a GA(2)LEN position paper. Allergy 2010; 65:459.
- MP McKay and L Groff. 23 years of toxicology testing fatally injured pilots: implications for aviation and other modes of transportation. Accid Anal Prev 2016; 90:108.
- Y Katayose et al. Carryover effect on next-day sleepiness and psychomotor performance of nighttime administered antihistaminic drugs: a randomized controlled trial. Hum Psychopharmacol 2012; 27:428.
- SL Gray et al. Cumulative use of strong anticholinergics and incident dementia: a prospective cohort study. JAMA Intern Med 2015; 175:401.
- BM Prenner. A review of the clinical efficacy and safety of MP-AzeFlu, a novel intranasal formulation of azelastine hydrochloride and fluticasone propionate, in clinical studies conducted during different allergy seasons in the US. J Asthma Allergy 2016; 9:135.
- P Ratner et al. Efficacy of daily intranasal fluticasone propionate on ocular symptoms associated with seasonal allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2015; 114:141.
- OTC fluticasone furoate nasal spray (Flonase Sensimist) for allergic rhinitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:e70.
- A Nayak and RB Langdon. Montelukast in the treatment of allergic rhinitis: an evidence-based review. Drugs 2007; 67:887.
- In brief: Oral phenylephrine for nasal congestion. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:174.
- E Mehuys et al. Self-medication in persistent rhinitis: overuse of decongestants in half of the patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014; 2:313.
- B Lange et al. Efficacy, cost-effectiveness, and tolerability of mometasone furoate, levocabastine, and disodium cromoglycate nasal sprays in the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005; 95:272.
- S Tsabouri et al. Omalizumab for the treatment of inadequately controlled allergic rhinitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014; 2:332.
- F Etwel et al. The risk of adverse pregnancy outcome after first trimester exposure to H1-antihistamines: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Drug Saf 2017; 40:121.
- I Pali-Schöll et al. Allergic diseases and asthma in pregnancy, a secondary publication. World Allergy Organ J 2017; 10:10.
- M Shaker and E Salcone. An update on ocular allergy. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 16:505.
- Alcaftadine (Lastacaft) for allergic conjunctivitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:19.
- M Castillo et al. Topical antihistamines and mast cell stabilisers for treating seasonal and perennial allergic conjunctivitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015;6:CD009566.
- JD Sheppard et al. Impact of the topical ophthalmic corticosteroid loteprednol etabonate on intraocular pressure. Adv Ther 2016; 33:532.
- KH Hsu and A Chauhan. Rapid and selective removal of preservative from ophthalmic formulations during eyedrops instillation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2015; 97:30.
- EJ van Zuuren et al. Emollients and moisturisers for eczema. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 2:CD012119.
- DJ Margolis et al. Association between malignancy and topical use of pimecrolimus. JAMA Dermatol 2015; 151:594.
- Crisaborole (Eucrisa) for atopic dermatitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:34.
- AS Paller et al. Efficacy and safety of crisaborole ointment, a novel, nonsteroidal phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4) inhibitor for the topical treatment of atopic dermatitis (AD) in children and adults. J Am Acad Dermatol 2016; 75:494.
- L Schneider et al. Atopic dermatitis: a practice parameter update 2012. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 131:295.
- Dupilumab (Dupixent) for moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:64.
- EL Simpson et al. Two phase 3 trials of dupilumab versus placebo in atopic dermatitis. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:2335.
- A Blauvelt et al. Long-term management of moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis (AD) with dupilumab and concomitant topical corticosteroids (TCS): a 1-year, randomized, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial (CHRONOS). Presented at the 75th American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, March 3-7, 2017. Abstract 5267.
- R Sidbury et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: section 3. Management and treatment with phototherapy and systemic agents. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014; 71:327.
- E Roekevisch et al. Efficacy and safety of systemic treatments for moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis: a systematic review. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 133:429.
- G Deza and AM Giménez-Arnau. Itch in urticaria management. Curr Probl Dermatol 2016; 50:77.
- T Zuberbier et al. The EAACI/GA(2) LEN/EDF/WAO Guideline for the definition, classification, diagnosis, and management of urticaria: the 2013 revision and update. Allergy 2014; 69:868.
- Omalizumab (Xolair) for chronic urticaria. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:43.
- ZT Zhao et al. Omalizumab for the treatment of chronic spontaneous urticaria: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:1742.
- JL Zazzali et al. Angioedema in the omalizumab chronic idiopathic/spontaneous urticaria pivotal studies. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2016; 117:370.
- P Staubach et al. Effect of omalizumab on angioedema in H1-antihistamine-resistant chronic spontaneous urticaria patients: results from X-ACT, a randomized controlled trial. Allergy 2016; 71:1135.
- DR Doshi and MM Weinberger. Experience with cyclosporine in children with chronic idiopathic urticaria. Pediatr Dermatol 2009; 26:409.
- M Morgan et al. Double-blind placebo-controlled trial of dapsone in antihistamine refractory chronic idiopathic urticaria. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014; 2:601.
- LA Beck et al. A review of international recommendations for the diagnosis and management of chronic urticaria. Acta Derm Venereol 2017; 97:149.
- M Maurer et al. Current and future therapies for treating chronic spontaneous urticaria. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2016; 17:1131.
- Sublingual immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:47.
- SR Durham and M Penagos. Sublingual or subcutaneous immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:339.
- TG Epstein et al. Current evidence on safety and practical considerations for administration of sublingual allergen immunotherapy (SLIT) in the United States. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2017; 5:34.
- RA Wood. Food allergen immunotherapy: current status and prospects for the future. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:973.
- S Lee et al. Trends, characteristics, and incidence of anaphylaxis in 2001-2010: a population-based study. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2017; 139:182.
- MM McNeil et al. Risk of anaphylaxis after vaccination in children and adults. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:868.
- P Lieberman et al. Anaphylaxis – a practice parameter update 2015. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2015; 115:341.
- TB Casale and AW Burks. Hymenoptera-sting hypersensitivity. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1432.
- P Lieberman and FE Simons. Anaphylaxis and cardiovascular disease: therapeutic dilemmas. Clin Exp Allergy 2015; 45:1288.
- ES Edwards et al. Epinephrine 0.3 mg bioavailability following a single injection with a novel epinephrine auto-injector, e-cue, in healthy adults, with reference to a single injection using EpiPen 0.3 mg. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 129:AB179.
- M Anshien et al. Unintentional epinephrine auto-injector injuries: a national poison center observational study. Am J Ther 2016 Nov 24 (epub).
- Auvi-Q epinephrine auto-injector returns. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:33.
- SH Sicherer et al. Epinephrine for first-aid management of anaphylaxis. Pediatrics 2017; 139:e20164006.
- DB Golden. Large local reactions to insect stings. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2015; 3:331.
- Odactra - sublingual immunotherapy for house dust mite-induced allergic rhinitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:37.
- In brief: neuropsychiatric events with montelukast. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:65.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.