The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Antibacterial Drugs for Lyme Disease
May 17, 2021 (Issue: 1624)Lyme disease in the US is caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi, which is transmitted to humans by Ixodes scapularis (blacklegged [deer] tick) and I. pacificus (western blacklegged tick). Most cases of Lyme disease occur in late spring...more
- E Sanchez et al. Diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of Lyme disease, human granulocytic anaplasmosis, and babesiosis: a review. JAMA 2016; 315:1767.
- BS Pritt et al. Identification of a novel pathogenic Borrelia species causing Lyme borreliosis with unusually high spirochaetaemia: a descriptive study. Lancet Infect Dis 2016; 16:556.
- P Wilhelmsson and PE Lindgren. Detection of a novel Lyme borreliosis pathogen. Lancet Infect Dis 2016; 16:511.
- Insect repellents. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:129.
- PM Lantos et al. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), American Academy of Neurology (AAN), and American College of Rheumatology (ACR): 2020 guidelines for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease. Clin Infect Dis 2021; 72:e1.
- S Warshafsky et al. Efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of Lyme disease: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2010; 65:1137.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Lyme disease. Red Book: 2018 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. American Academy of Pediatrics 2018; 515.
- PM Lantos et al. Final report of the Lyme disease review panel of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2010; 51:1.
- E Weitzer et al. Long-term assessment of post-treatment symptoms in patients with culture-confirmed early Lyme disease. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61:1800.
- A Berende et al. Randomized trial of longer-term therapy for symptoms attributed to Lyme disease. N Engl J Med 2016; 374:1209.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.