The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
August 9, 2021
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
In Brief: Guillain-Barré Syndrome with the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine
August 9, 2021 (Issue: 1630)On July 12, 2021, the FDA added a warning to the Fact Sheet for the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) adenovirus-based COVID-19 vaccine about an increased risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) following administration of the product.
- FDA. Fact sheet for healthcare providers administering vaccine (vaccination providers). Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). July 8, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3e6KEaD. Accessed July 15, 2021.
- FDA News Release. Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: July 13, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3zg9NHt. Accessed July 15, 2021.
- Johnson & Johnson. Johnson & Johnson statement on COVID-19 vaccine (7/12). July 12, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3kmg6EY. Accessed July 15, 2021.
- S Abu-Rumeileh et al. Guillain-Barré syndrome spectrum associated with COVID-19: an up-to-date systematic review of 73 cases. J Neurol 2021; 268:1133.
- CM Allen et al. Guillain-Barré syndrome variant occurring after SARS-CoV-2 vaccination. Ann Neurol 2021 June 10 (epub).
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.