The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
May 1, 2023
- Vibrant – An Oral Vibrating Capsule for Chronic Idiopathic Constipation
- Altuviiio – A Longer-Acting Factor VIII Product for Hemophilia A
- Lenacapavir (Sunlenca) for Multidrug-Resistant HIV
- Cyclosporine Ophthalmic Emulsion (Verkazia) for Vernal Keratoconjunctivitis
- In Brief: Over-the-Counter Narcan Nasal Spray
- Vaccination Recommendations for Bivalent mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines (online only)
- Dosing Recommendations for Novavax and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccines (online only)
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
Vibrant – An Oral Vibrating Capsule for Chronic Idiopathic Constipation
May 1, 2023 (Issue: 1675)The Vibrant orally administered vibrating capsule (Vibrant Gastro), an FDA-cleared medical device, is now available by prescription for treatment of adults with chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) who have not experienced relief of their bowel...more
- SJ Oh et al. Chronic constipation in the United States: results from a population-based survey assessing healthcare seeking and use of pharmacotherapy. Am J Gastroenterol 2020; 115:895. doi:10.14309/ajg.0000000000000614
- BE Lacy et al. Lessons learned: chronic idiopathic constipation patient experiences with over-the-counter medications. PLoS One 2021; 16:e0243318. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0243318
- Plecanatide (Trulance) for chronic idiopathic constipation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:66.
- Prucalopride (Motegrity) for chronic idiopathic constipation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:86.
- H Duboc et al. Disruption of circadian rhythms and gut motility: an overview of underlying mechanisms and associated pathologies. J Clin Gastroenterol 2020; 54:405. doi:10.1097/mcg.0000000000001333
- SSC Rao et al. Effects of the vibrating capsule on colonic circadian rhythm and bowel symptoms in chronic idiopathic constipation. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2020; 32:e13890. doi:10.1111/nmo.13890
- SSC Rao et al. Randomized placebo-controlled phase 3 trial of vibrating capsule for chronic constipation. Gastroenterology 2023 Feb 21 (epub). doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2023.02.013
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.