1. American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2014. Diabetes Care 2014; 37 (suppl 1):s14.
2. ACCORD Study Group. Long-term effects of intensive glucose lowering on cardiovascular outcomes. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:818.
3. ADVANCE Collaborative Group. Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358:2560.
4. W Duckworth et al. Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:129.
5. JS Skyler et al. Intensive glycemic control and the prevention of cardiovascular events: implications of the ACCORD, ADVANCE, and VA diabetes trials: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association and a scientific statement of the American College of Cardiology Foundation and the American Heart Association. Circulation 2009; 119:351.
6. Look AHEAD Research Group. Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:145.
7. SE Kahn et al. Glycemic durability of rosiglitazone, metformin, or glyburide monotherapy. N Engl J Med 2006; 355:2427.
8. RR Holman et al. 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:1577.
9. WR Lu et al. Unleash metformin: reconsideration of the contraindication in patients with renal impairment. Ann Pharmacother 2013; 47:1488.
10. AV Hernandez et al. Thiazolidinediones and risk of heart failure in patients with or at high risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis of placebo-controlled randomized clinical trials. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2011; 11:115.
11. SE Nissen and K Wolski. Effect of rosiglitazone on the risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causes. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:2457.
12. KW Mahaffey et al. Results of a reevaluation of cardiovascular outcomes in the RECORD trial. Am Heart J 2013; 166:240.
13. In brief: rosiglitazone (Avandia) unbound. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:12.
14. Exenatide (Byetta) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2005; 47:45.
15. B Gallwitz et al. Exenatide twice daily versus glimepiride for prevention of glycaemic deterioration in patients with type 2 diabetes with metformin failure (EUREXA): an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012; 379:2270.
16. Extended-release exenatide (Bydureon) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:21.
17. T Blevins et al. DURATION-5: exenatide once weekly resulted in greater improvements in glycemic control compared with exenatide twice daily in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:1301.
18. M Davies et al. Once-weekly exenatide versus once- or twice-daily insulin detemir: randomized, open-label, clinical trial of efficacy and safety in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with metformin alone or in combination with sulfonylureas. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:1368.
19. Liraglutide (Victoza) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:25.
20. JB Buse et al. Exenatide once weekly versus liraglutide once daily in patients with type 2 diabetes (DURATION-6): a randomised, open-label study. Lancet 2013; 381:117.
21. PC Butler et al. A critical analysis of the clinical use of incretin-based therapies: are the GLP-1 therapies safe? Diabetes Care 2013; 36:2118.
22. Alogliptin (Nesina) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:41.
23. Linagliptin (Tradjenta) – a new DPP-4 inhibitor for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:49.
24. Saxagliptin (Onglyza) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:85.
25. BM Scirica et al. Saxagliptin and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1317.
26. WB White et al. Alogliptin after acute coronary syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1327.
27. S Singh et al. Glucagonlike peptide 1-based therapies and risk of hospitalization for acute pancreatitis in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a population-based matched case-control study. JAMA Intern Med 2013; 173:534.
28. FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA investigating reports of possible increased risk of pancreatitis and pre-cancerous findings of the pancreas from incretin mimetic drugs for type 2 diabetes. Available at www.fda. gov. Accessed February 18, 2014.
29. MA Nauck. A critical analysis of the clinical use of incretin-based therapies: the benefits by far outweigh the potential risks. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:2126.
30. Canagliflozin (Invokana) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:37.
31. Dapagliflozin (Farxiga) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:13.
32. D Vasilakou et al. Sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2013; 159:262.
33. Pramlintide (Symlin) for diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2005; 47:43.
34. In brief: A new indication for colesevelam (Welchol). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:33.
35. CP Ooi and SC Loke. Colesevelam for Type 2 diabetes mellitus: an abridged Cochrane review. Diabet Med 2014; 31:2.
36. Bromocriptine (Cycloset) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:97.
37. JM Gaziano et al. Effect of bromocriptine-QR (a quick-release formulation of bromocriptine mesylate) on major adverse cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetes subjects. J Am Heart Assoc 2012; 1:e002279.
38. SR Singh et al. Efficacy and safety of insulin analogues for the management of diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis. CMAJ 2009; 180:385.
39. Rapid-acting insulin analogs. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:98.
40. Insulin glulisine (Apidra): a new rapid-acting insulin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:33.
41. P Aschner et al. Insulin glargine versus sitagliptin in insulin-naive patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus uncontrolled on metformin (EASIE): a multicentre, randomised open-label trial. Lancet 2012; 379:2262.
42. Insulin detemir (Levemir), a new long-acting insulin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:54.
43. K Hermansen et al. A 26-week, randomized, parallel, treat-to-target trial comparing insulin detemir with NPH insulin as add-on therapy to oral glucose-lowering drugs in insulin-naive people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2006; 29:1269.
44. L Meneghini et al. Once-daily initiation of basal insulin as add-on to metformin: a 26-week, randomized, treat-to-target trial comparing insulin detemir with insulin glargine in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab 2013; 15:729.
45. ORIGIN Trial Investigators. Basal insulin and cardiovascular and other outcomes in dysglycemia. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:319.
46. RR Holman et al. Three-year efficacy of complex insulin regimens in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:1736.